Chapter Nine: Morris Delancey

The plane's wheels finally hit the runway and I feel relief rush over me. I officially hate planes. Not because they're cramped but because they're such a boring place. It's like sitting in your closet for eight hours straight. No thanks.

           They connect the plane door to the building and then let us out. I quickly grab my bag from the overhead compartment, throw my backpack over my shoulder, and flood out of the plane.

         I walk out and head toward the front doors, where I see Jessica, Cassidy, and Oscar.

         They smile brightly before quickly hugging me.

       "Welcome back to America, Mo," Oscar grins.

         "So glad to be back," I say, looking between them. "Jesus, Cassidy! You need to stop growing."

          She laughs before looking down at a bouquet of flowers in her hands. "Oh, these are for you!"

         I smile, "Aww, thanks."

        "All her idea. We don't like you that much," Jessica teases.

        "I figured," I say, hugging Cassidy again before we walk out of the building. "Thank you,"

         "We took my car so it's off to the left," Oscar says.

          "You guys all packed into his little blue car?" I grin.

         "I actually got a new car. Bigger black Nissan."

           "Woah! Who encouraged you to do that?" I ask, smiling.

            "Zeke actually," Oscar explains.

           "His dash had like seven hundred warning lights because he's a procrastinator so Zeke offered to look at it and said he might as well just get a new one," Jessica explains. "It was a death machine."

          I smile. It's so like him to offer that. I'm shocked he didn't offer to just fix everything. I remember how much he used to dream about building one from scratch. I wonder if he ever did.

         "Don't insult little blue," Oscar mumbles.

          "Your airbag didn't even work anymore!" she explains. "That car was terrible."

          I zone out my thoughts and reel myself back into the conversation.

          "Yeah, it was bad," I say.

          "Either way, I have a new one now so it's okay," Oscar shrugs. "This is it by the way."

          He pops the trunk of the black Nissan Pathfinder.

          "Not bad," I say, putting my bag down.

           "Thank you," Oscar smiles before closing the trunk and walking to the driver's seat.

            Jessica and Cassidy get in the back so I get in the passenger seat.

           "It's nice on the inside too," I say, looking at the design on the door.

            He puts his seatbelt on and turns the car back on. "Thank you. I thought so too."

            He turns his turn signal on so we can go back onto the street.

            "So how was your last few days in Germany?" Jess asks, leaning forward in her seat.

"Busy," I explain. Leaning back in my seat and watching the cars and buildings pass by. It's hard to focus when all the memories come flashing back at once. God did I miss New York. "Some guys I work with wanted to try out a bunch of restaurants out there before we left so we drove around a lot but it was really pretty. I got some really pretty pictures to show you guys later. You'd love it out there."

"Was the food worth it?" Oscar asks, quickly looking through the busy traffic of the city. Okay, I don't miss this part.

"Absolutely," I explain. "Except for the one Tuesday night. John got sick but that was more his fault than the restaurant. He's lactose intolerant but likes to pretend he's not."

I smile. I don't bother including all the bars we went too either because Cassidy's here and I don't need my siblings thinking I'm an alcoholic. I was mainly the designated driver with the acceptation of a drink when I'm not, but the sheer amount of bars we went to paint a different image.

Oscar smiles. "We'll we're glad you're back. We've got a lot of things to drag your out to while you're here."

"Hey, he's got some places to go with a special someone too." I can see Jessica's smirk after her remark in the rear view.

"No way," Oscar grins. "Why didn't anyone tell me?!"

      "It's not that big of a deal."

      "Yeah, okay," Jessica says, leaning toward more. "And he made the plans."

      "You're kidding!" Oscar smiles, looking over at me. "Look at you go."

      "We're just catching up. It's just a friendly dinner," I explain. I look back in the rare view to see Cassidy just quickly smiling.

      Oscar notices it too and narrow his eyebrows. "Did you know too?"

      "Elliott may have mentioned it."

       "Seriously? Literally everyone knew but me. I'm disappointed in you guys."

       Zeke told them too. I feel my heart flutter for a second as I turn my attention back towards the road.

       "Well I think it's only fair that I hear all the details first," Oscar says.

       "Nah, I'm gonna tell Cass. She's not annoying like you too," I smile back at her.

      "Hey!" Jessica whacks my shoulder. "We are supportive of your future reconciliation."

       I shake my head and change the subject. "Cass, how's your dad doing?"

       "He's doing good, thanks. He just got back from a little trip to Miami."

       "What for?"

       "Uncle Les just got married."

        "You're kidding."

        She shakes her head. "Nope. It was all kinda quick though. They met 8 months ago."

      "Wow," I say. Les is still a 10 year old obsessing over Emma Stone to me. Imagining him married is near impossible. "Did you go to the wedding?"

      "I was out there a few days with Brady and then flew back for an interview."

       "The NASA internship?" I ask.

        She nods, smiling softly.

         "How's the interview go?"

        "I think pretty good. I should know on Thursday."

        "I have no doubt you'll get it." The kid is a genius. She's practically a direct replica of her dad in that department.

        "I hope so."