Chapter One: Jessica Delancey

My body lies still as my eyes slowly flutter open, the sound of my alarm clock blaring in my ear. I sit up in bed and realize my alarm has been going off for the past ten minutes. I quickly turn it off before leaping out of bed and running into the bathroom.

I quickly grab a makeup wipe and wipe off the last of the makeup I forgot to take off before passing out last night. I turn on the shower to warm it as I get off the rest of it. I throw the wipe away and leap into the shower, rubbing the shampoo into my hair as quickly as I can.

I finish the rest of my shower, dry my hair, put on my scrubs, put on a little makeup so I don't look as tired as I feel, and brush my teeth.

I reach for a ponytail holder before throwing my hair back into a bun and heading into the kitchen to begin making coffee.

"Good morning, mom," My daughter, Cassandra smiles as she pours some cereal into her bowl.

"Good morning, hon," I say, grabbing a cup of coffee powder and placing it into the machine before searching for a cup for the coffee.

"There's a thermos cup next to the sink," Cassidy says, pointing across the kitchen. "I washed it last night."

"Aww, thank you! You're a lifesaver, Cass," I smile grabbing the cup and quickly placing it into the machine before clicking the brew button.

She laughs quietly before taking a bite of her food.

"Frick! I'm sorry honey. I have another late shift tonight. I won't be home at the normal time to make dinner. If you want I can pick something up on my way home. We can do a pizza night," I smile, "How does that sound?"

"It sounds great mom, but I have dinner with dad tonight," She begins, her blue eyes going soft as she tucks a strand of her curly brown hair behind her ear. "I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize, Cass. I'm sorry. It completely crossed my mind," I shake my head before smiling, tiredly. "We'll just have to do pizza night another night."

"Yeah," She says, stirring around her cereal.

I let out a sigh before the coffee machine shuts off and I grab my cup. I hate seeing her like this. She's always here alone. My whole life was supposed to be dedicated to spending time with my kid and I spend half of it in a hospital just trying to make enough to get by. It's a little hard when you're thousands of dollars in debt.

"It's alright, Cass. I wasn't going to be home anyway. I'm sure you'll have a great time with your father," I smile.

"Well, maybe we can do dessert," She says, her eyes glistening.

"That sounds great," I smile and quickly press a kiss on the top of her head. "Well, I have to head out. Make sure you don't forget your house key. Have a good day. I'll see you later.

"I love you, mom."

"I love you too," I smile. "Oh and please drive safe."

She smiles, "I will."

"Who am I kidding, of course you will," I laugh. "Oh shoot, my lunch."

I quickly go into the fridge, grab my lunch, and throw it into my work bag. I laugh quietly, "Okay, bye for real now. I love you."

She laughs, "Bye. I love you too."

I quickly leave the house and fish for my keys in my bag before climbing into my car. I have an old 2006 White Honda Civic. It's not the best car but it does its job. David and I chipped in to buy our daughter a newer version of my car. Since we're both usually working, we wanted to make sure she had some way to get around if she needed, it and that it was safe because when you see as many things as I do working in the Emergency room, that comes before anything else when purchasing.

I put the keys in and turn twice, the radio beginning to blare on the first turn. I quickly turn it down, buckle up and pull out of the driveway.

After a few minutes, I pull up to the hospital. Usually, I'd get ready in the locker rooms but after waking up so late, I was well aware there was not enough time for that. I take a breath before walking through the doors of the hospital and heading down to the ER.

"Goodmorning Delancey," My boss says, walking towards the ER.

"Goodmorning," I force a smile as we walk in. I hate that woman.

I take a breath as I prepare myself for the day. I honestly chose a bad career. Being a circulating nurse in the ER is a pain. First of all, I see blood practically all day, and I'm always on edge. On top of all that, I work with my ex. Yes, my daughter's father. That's why I've made a deal with everyone else on my branch that I can never be left alone with him. It's not like we'd fight or anything, it's just awkward. I mean, what do you say to a man you only speak to in passing? We share a kid and a job, and that's it.

"Morning Jess," Corey Fillmoore says, running his hand through his hair black hair. Corey has been a friend of mine since high school. Same with his wife, Amelia. We've stayed pretty close because my daughter and their son Elliott are friends, plus I of course work with him. He's the head trauma surgeon on my branch. Usually, someone in his position would not be positioned in the Emergency room but this is New York after all.

(Not me making excuses for him lol. Also, "head" is not as in only works with head trauma...as in he's the top surgeon haha. Figured I should clarify real quickly because the phrasing is a little weird).

"Morning," I say, "You look tired."

"Always," He yawns as two other members of our group walk into the room.

"Will someone tell Maia she's delusional?" Christopher, our surgical tech says, gesturing to a girl with dark black hair next to him.

"No, you are! How on earth could you think Michael Scott and Pam Beesly would make a good couple? The guy has no clue what he's doing half the time. They'd break up instantly," Maia crosses her arms.

"Are you two fighting about the office again?" Corey asks, narrowing his eyebrows.

"Only because Chris keeps making idiotic conclusions," Maia replies. "Pam and Jim should be together. Michael should not be in that mix."

"Whatever," Christopher shakes his head. "Hey, where Jacobs?"

"I think he's checking the charts," Corey says, glancing across the room.

I glance down at the ground. Today's going to be a long day, I can already feel it.