"Do you have plans to pursue a career in mathematics?" He continued.

"Um, no, actually! I-I haven't really thought about what career to pursue yet," I replied honestly. He nodded in understanding.

"What about you?" I asked quickly, walking alongside him.

He shrugged his shoulders and replied, "I have to study business."

"Have to or want to?" I blurted out. He paused for a moment while we both halted in our tracks.

"I think at first, it was something I had to do, but now I enjoy it," he answered thoughtfully, his eyes revealing his genuine interest in his career. I smiled, seeing his happiness in the path he had chosen.

We reached the bus stop just as the bus arrived. Ares handed my bag back to me, and I waved at him before boarding the bus.

I kept my gaze fixed on him until he was no longer in view. I turned around in my seat, hugging my bag tightly in my arms. My bag wasn't heavy today, but Ares still carried it for me.

I closed my eyes, burying my head in my bag with a wide grin on my face, and I couldn't help but shake my hands and feet with excitement.

I was so happy, and I couldn't put it into words. Spending time with Ares was the highlight of my day.

I took a deep breath, embracing my bag more tightly and savoring his lingering scent. A message notification interrupted my thoughts, and I quickly checked my phone. My smile gradually faded as I read Aubrey's reply.

Aubrey: I'm fine, Ely! Just a slight fever. My parents aren't home, so I couldn't come to school.

My eyebrows furrowed. Aubrey was sick, and her parents still weren't home? I quickly replied, "It's okay, don't worry about studies. I'll take notes for you. Take care of yourself. Do you need anything? Have you taken medicine?" Her reply came back immediately.

Aubrey: Thank you, Ely! I gave everyone the day off today, so I don't think I have any medicine, but I'll take some if I feel worse.

Worry lines formed on my forehead as I read her message. I knew this feeling too well, being sick and yet alone.

Making a decision, I texted my mom and got off the bus at the next station. I bought fever medicine and made my way to Aubrey's home.

The guard let me in since I had visited once before. As I walked through the mansion, I could see the door was open, and I spotted a figure from the corner of my eye.

Turning my head, I glanced toward the garden. My lips parted in shock; Aubrey was sitting on a bench, holding a cigarette in her hand and smoking.

I quickened my steps to reach her. When she heard the approaching footsteps, she turned her head toward me, and her eyes widened in surprise.

"What are you doing, Aubrey?" I had thought she was sick. As her initial shock subsided, Aubrey turned her head away from me.

"Why are you here, Ely?" She replied without answering my question.

My lips pressed into a thin line. "Because you said you were sick," I retorted, not liking the way she had lied.

"My parents don't even care, yet you're here because I said I was sick?" She said in a mocking tone and took another puff of her cigarette.

This was the very first time I had seen her behave like this. She wasn't the sweet Aubrey I knew; she seemed like a completely different person.

"So, you're going to handle it like this?" I asked calmly this time and pointed to the cigarette in her hand.