3|Oh Boy, Karma Is A Bitch!

"It was fine and good to be defiant to the end, but it was better not to get caught in the first place "Julie Kagawa.

Chapter Theme Song : Hide - Ella Mai

••

Guilty.

That's what described exactly how I felt right now. It's not the usual guilt of doing something illegal or against specific rules and regulations. I felt guilty because I allowed myself to be caught doing something I shouldn't have done in the first place. And so, as we sat around the extremely huge dinning table, I was spaced out from the conversation my parents were having.

"Hailey? Is everything alright? You seem lost in thoughts" I raised my head to look at them watching me intently, waiting for my response.

"Umm..yeah I'm okay. I'm just overwhelmed by everything" I lied. Obviously, I wasn't going to blurt the words out like; "Hey, Dad. Mom, I was caught spying on some people and I don't know whether they're are our new neighbors or not."

"You don't sound convincing. You certain about that?" Mom is really going to keep digging if I don't act smart.

"I'm perfectly fine, Mom" flashing her the widest smile, it seemed to have worked. Thank goodness, she was too smart to go unnoticed by my change in mood. She's the best of the best lawyer for a reason.

"How do you feel about going to your new school?" Thank you Dad, you don't know how much you've saved the awkwardness.

"Neutral. Still open for anything, no high or low hopes" they both were satisfied with my answer seeing the glint in their eyes.

"I can guarantee you'll love it at WestBrook's" I will check out the school when I'm in my room.

"Is that where you met each other?" Let's put my parents on the hot seat.

"Not entirely. We met at a competition between our schools; I was in WestBrook's while your mother was in public school. It didn't change my feelings towards her. Your Mom is the smartest, most hardworking and strongest woman I know" tune in melodrama.

"You both are a perfect combination. I'm forever proud and grateful for having wonderful parents like you''

We finished the rest of our meal in silence. My mind was raising with so many thoughts, what if the person walks through the door and comes to announce to my parents. What if it made me a target for a home invasion? Or worse of, what if they are serial psychopaths? Geez! Calm down Hailey Ayre McAdams. You're getting worked up for nothing. It wasn't as though he could make you out from the distance. Inwardly heaving in and out, I took my mind off that unwanted incident.