7.

Aryan

After a quick pit stop at my apartment to shower and change, Willem and I headed to the tavern. We went straight to our regular place- a booth hidden away from the rest of the tavern; public, yet private. We took our regular seats and knew Eric would bring us a bottle of whiskey and two glasses.

"Alpha," Eric greeted me before we had even settled into our booth. I nodded hello, gratefully accepting the whiskey he poured into the crystal glass in front of me.

"Beta," he greeted Willem beside me, filling his cup second.

"Eric. Any chance we can grab some food? I'm famished." Willem asked the bartender politely. Any other Beta would have barked that order at Eric. 

"Of course, Beta." Eric responded, disappearing from our table with a low bow towards me.

"Of course, Beta," I mocked in a low tone and Willem shot me a filthy look.

It was still odd to us, being the new Alpha and Beta, and even stranger being addressed as such. His father had been the Beta to my father, the Alpha, until we ascended to our rightful places as head of the pack, just mere months ago. But he was more than my Beta. Willem and I had grown up together, training together as young pups, attending school together, learning how to hunt together, becoming womanisers together. We were closer than brothers. 

"Do you ever worry about what our fathers think?" Willem asked, thumbing his glass pensively.

I shrugged his question off and lifted my own whiskey to my lips. I drank deeply, finishing the rich, full-bodied whiskey in one large sip. I poured myself another.

To be fair, it was hard not to wonder what my father thought of me being the new Alpha. Most Alpha's took lead of their pack through two forms; by fighting the current Alpha to death, or by succession when the previous Alpha passed. Either way, it generally meant the previous Alpha was long gone. In my case, my father, the Toronto packs previous Alpha, was very much still alive, and often breathing heavily down my neck, judging my every move. He had chosen to step down, naming me as his biological, and social successor, when he had become terribly wounded. He had broken his hind legs, and he now walked with a limp. This made him an easy target. Before another pack had the opportunity to attack and kill him and take over the Toronto pack, he- somewhat begrudgingly- handed the pack over to me. 

Due to his fierce reputation, he was accepted into the counsel of Elders upon his resignation of Alpha. It was a role generally reserved for wolves over one hundred years of age. My father was only sixty. Being indoctrinated into the Elders meant he was well regarded and respected by all, and ultimately, it was a mortal sin to kill an Elder. So although now physically weak, he was untouchable until he one day passed from a natural death.

If anything, his new role held immense power over me. I could feel him in everything I did. I could feel his judgement in the board members. I could feel him watching me with his two Gamma wolves that followed me everywhere, forever reporting back to him. I could even feel him in the clothes I wore; he was forever sending me new long sleeved button-up shirts, knowing I prefer a plain t-shirt. I hated that he knew when I was getting low on t-shirts and would fill my wardrobe with the business attire that he found respectable. Nothing in my life was private. I lived my life trapped beneath his shadow.

Before long, Eric returned with our food. As Willem dug in, I screened the tavern. The dance floor was empty, save for a few stupid Omegas. They were jesters and jokers at best, always trying to get their dicks wet in whoever would indulge them. There were some new she-wolves hanging about who I had never met; they were attractive, if not a little wild and unruly looking. They were likely a mixture of lone wolves and some from neighbouring packs. Willem's gaze followed mine.

"I'll bet they all heard there's a new Alpha and are vying for the position his Luna."

"Yeah, I'll bet," I grumbled. More females were coming onto our land by the day, looking to join the pack and become my mate. I didn't mind the constant stream of women competing to be with me, it was more the difficulty in getting rid of them after we had spent the night together. I looked around the room at the she-wolves. Which one would I take home tonight?

Niði let out a low growl as we surveyed the women in the bar before us. Tall, short, thin and curved; There was a wide array to choose from. His growl deepened, and suddenly, I was paying attention.

Niði smelt her before I did. 

He forced my head to whip to the side and I followed the intoxicating scent to the girl with the silver hair who was walking in the tavern door, heading towards the dance floor. Food and Willem forgotten, I found myself in an almost dream-like state, walking towards her. Niði left me no choice; she was all-consuming to us both. 

A stupid Omega intercepted her and started spinning her in circles. She was laughing, in good spirits. The Omega caught my eye and bowed respectfully out of the way. Omega's were always good fun, sure, but they were fools. I caught her mid-spin, steadying her. Her silver hair spilled across my arm, sending shockwaves through my skin. She seemed dazed at first, as she looked at my chest, which has suddenly appeared before her. Her long lashes hid her eyes, but I could see her lips part as her gaze slowly made its way up towards my face. Was she as captivated by me as I was by her?

Niði was growing restless.

Calm, boy. I told him, my breath catching as the girl reached out one delicate hand and gently caressed my lips. Her slender thumb rubbed against my lips, sending shockwaves through my body. Her touch was electrifying, magnetic. It made us shiver, as Niði whimpered in my mind for more. 

Her eyes, unbelievably pale and yet as bright as the moon, were locked onto my lips. Her lips, a gorgeous pale pink, parted sightly and I had to force myself to remember how to breathe. I thought she was going to kiss me. I was going to let her. In a room full of people, who knew me to be dominant, in charge, in control at all times, I was going to let this woman do whatever she wanted to me. I had no control over the situation. I couldn't move against her touch. 

Her hand moved off my lips and cupped my face. Niði rumbled in pleasure, wanting more. I melted into her hand, ever so slightly, subtly relaxing into her touch. Her eyes finally made their way to mine. Our eyes locked. I felt a tug deep within my mind, and deep within my heart.

I thought she was about to kiss me. Then her hand reached up to my hair and she grabbed it firmly in her grasp, pulling me gently towards her. I suddenly became aware of everyone in the tavern watching us. 

"Not here," I managed to grunt in a low, husky voice, filled with lust for this beautiful woman before me. I took her hand and led her from the tavern and the many pairs of prying eyes.