2 . pre-hoco

i sat in between johnathan and ryan. I glanced down at my menu, scanning through it as i searched for something to eat.

i looked up, being met with matthew, yanelly, and molly across from us. Matthew had to be my hoco date since johnathan didmt trust me with anybody else.

sometimes he acts more like a brother than id like him to.

everyone engaged in conversation, laughing and smiling. i smiled to myself as i took in the ambience and the moment. after today this would all just be a memory.

i looked around. this was my favorite korean bbq place. it had warm colors and the lighting was too. the classic, old art tied everything together.

"and, what would you like to drink?" the waiter asked me, which brought me back to reality. she was a short asian girl with a thick accent.

"oh, a large coke please." i glanced back down at my menu.

she nodded and scribbled it down, moving onto johnathans drink.

i took out my phone, snapping quick pictures of my friends and myself.

as the night went on, we got our drinks and food. I watched as everyone ate and laughed.

for some reason, this moment felt emotional. i felt like i could burst out crying from how happy i was. it warmed my heart, and I genuinely felt like my soul was being healed.

i exhaled, placing my utensils on my plate as i used the last of my coke to move the food down my throat comfortably.

"y/n, what do you think?" molly asked, making eye contact.

"hm?" i mumble, lost.

"who do you think is gonna be elected you know, king and queen for homecoming?" she leaned back on the chair, sipping her drink.

all their eyes were on me. "hmm, i honestly dont even know who was elected as candidates."

"whattt?" they all gasp as if i said the worst thing ever. "y/n you live under a rock i swear." matthew laughed.

yanelly took out her phone and showed me our schools sca who posted the candidates.

i looked over the list, the only girl names that caught my attention was yanellys.

and.. mine?

"what the?? when did i.." my voice trailed off as i tilted my head to the side. suddenly, i heard a loud camera click and noticed matthew took a picture of me.

he bursted out laughing and showed everybody the picture before showing me.

i looked over it and i looked genuinely puzzled, yanellys phone in my hand. my hair flowed down my shoulders nicely, and my dress was glittering. i smiled, i actually looked cute. "send me this."

"you look so pretty in it!" molly smiled at me.

"right." yanelly added.

god, i love these girls.

"thank you."

i looked back down at yanellys phone and scrolled to the next slide, showing the guys who were elected.

"ooo, john youre on here." i show him and he rolls his eyes.

"are you stupid? yesterday at the game they announced i was chosen."

"she didnt go.." everybody immediately chimed in.

"yeah.. i didnt go." i rolled my eyes.

"wait, what? why??" he looked at me confused.

"because i had to do things." i shrugged.

he nodded and dropped the topic. afterwards, the conversation changed and i went back onto my phone.

i sat in the back seats with molly and yanelly, talking about guys and random shit. f/n said she would meet me there since she was gonna be running late.

"DUDEE GIVE Y/N THE AUXX." matthew groaned, annoyed at johnathans music taste which consisted of yeat, carti, and artists like that.

"no shes gonna play white girl music." ryan chimed in, causing the two to throw a fit of giggling.

matthew looked back at me, giggling.

"no let y/n connect to the bluetooth right noww." yanelly yelled across the car.

johnathan rolled his eyes and unconnected his phone. i smiled as i went to my bluetooth and connected it to the car.

the car was silent besides the air flowing through the windows. i giggled as i found a song, showing yanelly and molly who started smiling hard as they nodded.

i pressed play.

Party In The U.S.A by Miley Cyrus began to blast at full volume.

johnathan quickly glared at me from the rearview mirror, but i could still see him whispering the lyrics.

we all began to sing.. or, yell. there was so much laughter. matthew was vlogging this moment.

"SO I PUT MY HANDS UPP" i begin, "THEYRE PLAYING MY SONG-" molly yells, "AND THE BUTTERFLIES FLY AWAYY." matthew adds in the most girliest tone ever.

the whole car erupts in laughter and i cant help but feel so happy.

this is my life.

my junior year, but this is their last year.

as the song fades away, i feel my smile fading too. this is the last year theyll be here with me.

yanelly shook me, laughing as she sang California Girls by Katy Perry.

i smiled, joining in.