Chapter 7: A Chance

It was the next morning. Hiccup, Toothless, and the gang were in the clubhouse, Hiccup was sitting down in a chair as he had told the gang about what Thyra said to him.

Hiccup: . . . And now I have no idea where to start to make things up with her, she basically hates me- I mean us.

Ruffnut: Yeah. We can tell.

Fishlegs: Her change of behavior makes sense now.

Hiccup sighs in defeat as placed his head in his hand. Astrid looked at Hiccup with her arms crossed and a serious expression.

Astrid: ( to Hiccup: ) The most obvious thing to do as a start is to go talk to her and apologize.

Hiccup: How? I tried talking to her, she barely lets me get a word in.

Tuffnut: And it doesn't really help that her skrill keeps looking at Hiccup, and me and Ruff, like he wants to slit our throats at the spot.

Hiccup: ( sarcastically: ) Thank you, Tuffnut. I didn't know that.

Astrid: Hiccup, apologizing to her, even if she doesn't let you get a word in, can go a long way. Whether she knows it or not, she needs to know that you still care about her. ( glares at Snotlout and the twins ) That we all care about her.

Snotlout: What?

Ruffnut: What did we do?

Astrid: You three seriously don't remember what you said to her when Hiccup took off to train Toothless in secret?

Hiccup lifted his head in confusion before he and Toothless glared at Snotlout and the twins when he saw the nervous expression on Snotlout's face.

Hiccup: What did you three say to her?

Snotlout: We didn't actually mean it, we were just joking around.

Hiccup: ( sternly: ) What. Did. You. Say.

Tuffnut: ( calmly: ) Okay, if I remember correctly, Snotlout started the joke.

Snotlout: ( whispers shouts, to Tuffnut: ) Shut up.

Tuffnut: After you took off after training, to train Toothless in secret, Thyra was upset because you left without saying goodbye to her...

Hiccup was listening to Tuffnut with his arms crossed and with anger on his face, as this was the first time he was hearing about this. Snotlout had a worried expression and was mentally screaming at Tuffnut to stop talking.

Tuffnut: Snotlout said " Maybe he's finally tired of being friends with a weirdo like you. "

Hiccup quickly turned his head to glare at Snotlout, who laughed nervously in response.

Tuffnut: Then Snotlout nudged me and Ruffnut to play along...

Ruffnut: And Tuffnut made another joke saying " Good for him then, he's probably realizing how crazy it is to be friends with someone who's happy all the time. " I laughed, that's when Astrid smacked me and Tuff on the back of our heads and Thyra ran off crying.