Chapter Eight - Mixed Signals

Marcus' POV

I cannot resist approaching her upon seeing she was alone yesterday in the soccer field. I almost asked her to come with me in my apartment. Something I know is prohibited which is why I didn't bother asking. It's tempting though. Now I have to behave myself and act professionally just so she wouldn't notice.

I started calling out their names as soon as the bell rang, it's Wednesday and on this day Gym is first period. "Julius Harris?" "Here!", "Bridget Monahan?" "Here!", "Stacy Walsh?" "Here." By force of habit I looked longer at her even she already said she's there. Man, I'm being too obvious.

"Today we're gonna do warm ups, do ten laps and after choose your partner for soccer one on one. I will be grading how fast each of you are when it comes to running and alertness."

I scanned the room for a certain face, as soon as I saw her stretching in one corner I know what I have to do. "Ms. Walsh, please help me bring out the Soccer balls from the gym storage room?" She looked surprised then obeyed me.

Walking behind me I can feel her glare. I opened the lockers with a bunch of keys and out came pouring different sizes and colors of balls. "How many do we need, Mr. Bingley?" I looked at her and was mesmerized by her beauty. Wearing shorts the length is half the size of her leg. Plain white round neck t shirt and her hair dangling freely but she was putting it on a pony tail as soon as she asked me how many do we need.

"Mr. Bingley?" She furrowed suspiciously at me as I came back to reality and mentioned 8 balls in total. She tried holding four, two of each on both arms. As it keeps on falling she can't help but giggle. "Whoops!" I tried to help her and she tripped on the other football that came off the shelf. Catching her just in time she fell on my arm and our eyes and lips were too close to one another. Something I have to take good control in avoidance of kissing her. I exhaled, not realizing I was holding my breath because of nervousness, she tried sitting up slowly and then I pulled her up. As soon as we were both standing up it was too awkward to look at each other.

"Are you ok?" She was blushing as soon as she met my eyes. "Yes, thanks!" Before we can say anything else someone yelled.

"Mr. Bingley!" called Maxine. Before anyone can see our awkwardness, I hurriedly grabbed the four balls and yelled back, "I am coming!" I glanced back at Stacy obviously embarrassed herself, "I'll meet you out front, thanks for your help." She nodded. Maxine started carrying the balls from my hands. Glancing behind me she saw Stacy. I noticed she smirked at her then continued doing exercises. I guess I should be more careful next time so nobody will notice.

Stacy's POV

As soon as I left the gym storage, all eyes were on me especially Maxine and her bunch of minions. They were glaring at me like I stole something they owned. I realized now that there's competition here. Either be it for grades or Mr. Bingley's attention, they won't let anybody stand in their way.

Who cares but he called for me, it's not my problem they have to put a lot of make up to get noticed.

"What took you so long in there?" Michael asked while looking at Mr. Bingley. I noticed he looked away from us.

"The balls are stucked on top that's why we have to remove one by one." I explained. Michael didn't buy my excuse.

"He should've called help from a guy instead." Before I can turn to look at Marcus, he was already behind us. It made me stopped on my tracks upon hearing his voice I jumped.

"Do you have a problem with me Mr. Dixon?" Michael glared nose fuming at Marcus. "I was just telling Stacy here that us guys could be of more help instead of a girl." I got mad at his answer that I answered back.

"So you think I cannot do what I am told to do?"

"I was just protecting you Stacy."

This time Mr. Bingley lost his temper. " Mr. Dixon, you don't get to order us around here, especially me."

"I was just suggesting." He said that in a mimicking face like Marcus.

"Detention Mr. Dixon, out!" I haven't seen him that mad. I know it's not right to talk back to teachers but there's something about protecting me.

After Gym class, Bridget went to me at once. "What was that all about Stacy?"
Jessica leaned in to listen to our conversation.

"It's nothing, just forget about it." We all walked in silence heading out of school to go home.

As usual the bus is late, Bridget offered to give me a lift I hesitated. I had no idea that it's gonna take almost half an hour just for a bus.

"Hey Stacy, are you a teacher's pet? Or pet with benefits." Maxine and her minions passed by in front of me while on a top down beemer.

I did not pay attention to them and they passed by and left. I know what to do now, starting tomorrow I will piss them off, they will see.

Michael slammed the door of the gym as soon as he got out. I wonder what he had to do for detention. Relieved that he didn't noticed me, I pretended to read a book to cover my face just in case.

It looks like my bus is never gonna come I was just ten minutes behind, I took time changing in the girl's locker. Another bus was supposed to pass by but it seems impossible now. I started walking down the right side of the school towards the way to my house. I can do this.

A car came passing by but in a slow pace, I am starting to feel chills on my spine could it be that someone is stalking me? I held on my perfume spray in my bag just in case whoever is driving the car will just grab me.

"Stacy!" A familiar voice called me. I turned to see it was Mr. Bingley, wait did he just called me by my first name? I thought ever since he became our teacher we will call each other by surnames, not that we made a deal about it.

"Hi Mr. Bingley!" I waved back shyly.

"Do you want a lift?" I looked at my surrounding yeah it's getting dark. But should I trust him? Well, he's my teacher and my crush, wait what? whoa!

I agreed to his offer and went inside the car. Awkwardness sets in as soon as I buckled myself. I didn't spoke much just the part to instruct him where I live.

I finally reached my house and I was about to get out when he grabbed my hand.

"Stacy, I need to talk to you."

----------3>----------

How do you guys liking the chapters so far?
Can you make a guess what Mr. Bingley is gonna say?