Chapter 17~ When Fernpaw disappeared

Starpaw sprang forward. She wasn't about to get beaten by this cat attacking her. A tom, she could tell by the scent. But she couldn't see him.
The tom lashed out at her, catching her on the cheek. She spun around and realized that she was surrounded. There were too many cats against her at once!
"Starpaw!" It was Snowpaw. "Quick! We're medicine cat apprentices! We can't fight!" She was standing on a branch.

Starpaw hadn't ever actually climbed before, but she was Treeclan now, so she leapt over the head of the tom attacking her and gripped the bark, pulling herself up.
"This is weird." Branchfoot was in the branch above her. "I've seen this before. But only in nightmares."
"I think we've all seen it." Hazelfur meowed.
"Yes." Blacknose agreed. "Every night."
"I've seen it too." Snowpaw growled.
"We all have." Redpaw hissed.

"And it all started..." Branchfoot trailed off, like he just figured something out.
"When?" Starpaw was curious.
"When Fernpaw disappeared."
"Fernpaw... you mean Fern?" Redpaw crouched on his branch.
"Fernpaw?" Snowpaw hissed. "She died. Ashpaw said that she saw her and Pineclaw fall over a cliff."

"But she didn't die. Rustycloud saved her!"
Just then, Starpaw noticed a stream of strange cats disappear. "They're gone." She saw the injured cats all over the clearing, some dead, some wounded very badly.
"Let's go help our clans." Branchfoot climbed down.
"Yes, let's. We can talk more about this at the half-moon meeting."

"Then does Starpaw come home with us?" Lightstar asked, confused. "And where's Wetbranch?"
"And where are some of my Warriors?" Stonestar demanded.
"They've gone." Starpaw hissed. She sniffed one of the dead Brookclan cats. Wetbranch's scent was on the dead cat's throat. "They were on those shadowy cat's side. They've been spying. Looking for our weaknesses. And now that they know enough, they are coming back. To take what they want." Starpaw couldn't believe she'd just said that. It didn't sound like her.
All the other cats were staring at her in shock.

"They're bringing a new age of fear upon us." Bluenose stepped forward. "And it will not work!" But Starpaw could tell that he was lying.
"Lier." She hissed under her breath. Then said a bit louder, "I would like to go back with Treeclan."
"What? Why?" Hazelfur asked. "I would love to have you as mine and Blacknose's apprentice!"
"I'm sorry."