Eloise Lamb

Mrs. Tolbert just passed. Attorney Vale tells our firm of Solomon's misfortune, and how he wants nothing to do with anything or anyone pertaining to her. Fortunately, his father convinced him to at least claim his inheritance. When Solomon and Lola entered our conference room, I had only been at my firm two weeks. Attorney Dex Blue is the new overseer of Mrs. Tolbert's will. I'm his partner.

They're a gorgeous couple, but devastation is seen so vivid in his eyes. His eyes. Wow they're mesmerizing. I've seen green eyes before but never as deep as his. They look like shimmering gems. I'm so entranced he has to look my way for me to realize I'm staring. Once I stop, he rolls his eyes back to Dex.

Lola has her arm locked underneath his. It seems that would annoy him, but he acts as if her clinging is as natural as his own body. The entire time they sit listening with her joined to his hip. Dex will say certain things and it'd trigger Solomon. You'd see him getting riled, but Lola would simply lean her head against his shoulder or squeeze his arm tighter. He'd glance her way then relax.

We're now done when Dex asks, "Do you two have any questions?"

Solomon looks down at Lola. Smiling she shakes her head no. Solomon answers, "No."

"Well, we're all set. Sorry about everything your family's experiencing right now Mr. and Mrs. York. Our prayers and condolences are with you."

Lola's sweet voice says, "Thank you."

Now staring into each other's eyes, she lifts Solomon's hand and kisses it. He mouths, "I love you."

Smiling she mouths, "I know."

At last his eyes brighten. He glances my way and catches me gawking again. Lola catches me too and gives me a cold glare as they leave.

Watching until they get on the elevator, Dex says, "Damn she's beautiful!"

As I roll my eyes up in my head he continues, "I mean I couldn't stop staring at her. And York's huge! I'm praying the entire time begging God to make me stop looking at this man's wife before he pulverizes me!" I simply chuckle.

Once home I still can't get Solomon out of my head. And Lola's my hero! She has him wrapped around her finger. I'm anxious to do anything with their estate. Every morning I check under their name hoping Solomon wants to take the money or donate it. I just want to see him again.

I've been at the firm over a year when Dex enters my office, somber. I'm busy on a new case typing away, when I ask, "What's going on?"

"You remember the Yorks?"

"Of course. Who doesn't remember them?" I tease.

"Lola's dead."

Paralyzed by shock, I sit motionless. Dex's dazed, shaking his head. I ask, "What happened?"

"Solomon took his entire family on vacation as a healing from the tragedy of Mrs Tolbert's suicide, but Lola drowned snorkeling."

"Snorkeling? Lola's an elite swimmer!"

"What'd you say?"

Damn I'm talking too much. I've been secretly researching Solomon and Lola. Dex wouldn't know this, so I reply, "Yes! I think I read it in their files."

Nodding he continues, "But get this. Florida police suspect foul play. And guess who the prime suspect is? ...Lola's mother!"

"What?"

"Yeah! Looks as if history's repeated itself!"

"No way! Who told you this?"

"York's attorney, Expresso. Solomon called him enraged. He doesn't have sweet, docile Lola taming him anymore. He's in full beast mode these days. Glad we're not his criminal lawyers. Expresso says he's gone completely mad!"