First Call

It's been a stressful day. I go into my office, put on classical music, then sit. My feet are killing me. Removing my heels, I start massaging my right foot. All the money I paid for these shoes they should feel like pillows.  There's a knock at my door. It's Daniela.

    "Sorry to bother you Mrs. Braiden, but I'm getting ready to go. Are you all set for today?"

    "Yes, Daniela. Thanks so much for enduring till the end with me. You're a Godsend."

    "I enjoy helping you Mrs. Braiden. Well have a blessed night and I'll see you tomorrow."

    "Good night Daniela."

My office is a straight shot to the front door. I watch until she's gone. Balancing myself on my desk to stand, I hobble down the hallway then lock and bolt the front door. Now back in my office, I open my secret wooden fridge and pour me a double shot of bourbon. Closing my eyes, I sip savoring it's robustness in my mouth.

Looking at my watch I see it's a quarter to 10. Guzzling down the rest of my drink, I stop my music, grab my blazer off of the back of my chair, throw my shoes in my tote bag, then grab my car keys off of the desk. As soon as I lift my keys I see her obituary. What a lovely girl. Tragic she left here so soon. Staring at her photo I sigh, cut off my office lights, then leave out back.

I pull up into my driveway, enter my gate's code, then drive onto my property. It rained all day today, so I walk into a wet home. This morning it was gorgeous out, so I left windows open. Also, I didn't expect to get home this late. I close all the windows downstairs, the window up the stairs, then enter my bedroom and close them there. As I crank my last window I see a figure by the lake. Looks to be a man. It's then I have to sneeze. Leaning over, I cover my face to let it out, but when I look up he's gone.

After I've bathed I lie across my bed. My phone vibrates and it's Sia.

    "Hey beautiful girl."

    "Hello mother. Glad you made it home."

    "You and me both. It's been a long day."

    "I'd say. I talked to Ms. Mitzit. They've decided to let the husband handle everything else."

    "Oh, dear! Won't these people make up their minds!"

    "I know. Well, the funeral's this Saturday, so in four days this will all be over."

    "Glory."

    "Rest soundly. I'll see you bright and early tomorrow."

And I do just that. Waking refreshed, I'm ready to conquer this new day. I get dressed then hurry downstairs. My chef, Jacques has already prepared breakfast.

    "Good morning Mrs. Braiden. I have your eggs Benedict with multigrain toast, and a side of nova lox."

    "Bless you Jacques. Remember, I may get home late again, so call before you plan dinner."

    "Yes, Mrs. Braiden."

I get to the funeral home just past 7 a.m. My appointment is at 9 a.m. Only minutes after I get settled, the family's special ordered coffin arrives. The delivery man and I ensure it has all the crafted details they asked for. Everything's in order, I thank him and then go beautify myself before the family arrives.

My family has owned Braiden & Fuqua Funeral Home ever since the proper title was undertaker. That terminology is erroneous today, but my family once lived up to that name. People used to come to my great, great, great grandfather, LaVondo Braiden, to know exactly where their loved one's soul was going. Everyone's going to heaven during the eulogy, but those who desired the truth, sought many of my ancestors for deeper knowledge on their deceased. Grandfather LaVondo would tell those whose departed were in heaven, to rest because they'll meet again. Others he'd say, "Find you a necromancer, or seeing them again will never be so."