First Look

Braiden & Fuqua Funeral Home is very nice. I enter and the owner Mrs. Braiden greets me with a warm welcome. It's dim inside but brighter than most funeral homes. It feels warm and homey. She's a lovely woman. She's Black with very dainty features. A small pointed nose and thin lips. Her skin is a beautiful cocoa brown and blemish free. She's picture perfect. Her hair is luscious and cut in perfect layers. I have to ask, "Who does your hair? It's fabulous! They should've hired your beautician instead of asking me."

Giving a warm comforting chuckle she answers, "Oh no! Ms. Mitzit said Lola wouldn't have it any other way."

Her office phone rings and she smiles, "Excuse me." then walks away.

Repulsed by simply hearing Mae's name I give a phony laugh then I feel a tap on my back. It's Solomon, Sheba, and Hyde. Turning I hug Solomon and kiss Sheba saying, "Hey Hy-Dee."

"Hi Mrs. Cynthia."

Eyes squinted, I glare at Solomon and he says, "Sheba and Hyde aren't staying. Hyde just wanted to ride here with me."

"Ok Hy-Dee, daddy's safe. Let's go get ice cream." says Sheba.

"You're not coming daddy?"

"You're coming back to get me little man. Go get ice cream with Aunt Sheba first, okay?"

Eyes filling with tears Hyde nods. Solomon grabs him up saying, "Daddy's safe. I'm not leaving you ever, okay?"

He hugs Solomon's neck tight. The pain in Solomon's eyes is heartbreaking. I look away as he gets himself together before he looks back at Hyde. Taking Hyde Sheba asks, "When should we return?"

"A couple hours is plenty of time." I answer.

Sheba kisses Solomon then she and Hyde leave. Mrs. Braiden returns then leads us to Lola's body. She then gives us our privacy. Solomon walks over to her, but I remain by the doorway. Hands covering my mouth, I cry into them. Solomon rubs her hair then caresses her face saying, "Hey baby."

Inhaling, he kisses her lips then motions for me to come and take over.

I whisper, "Hey pretty Lola," then breakdown.

Solomon's hugging me as I cry, yet he stares at Lola, unmoved. Sniffling I say, "I'm so sorry. This is just devastating for me. I'm sorry."

"Me too Cynthia. I'm not crying right now because I'm here with her."

Once composed I start hooking up my equipment. I then ask, "How would you like it done?"

"I loved when she'd straighten it."

Now doing her hair, he's silent about fifteen minutes before asking, "Does Mae ever mention Boca Raton?"

"I rarely do Mae's hair now. Once I found out what she did concerning you and Lola, I've been put out with her ever since."

Ashamed, he simply nods then moves back.

"Please don't feel uncomfortable. Before I knew anything I told Mae I'd hate any mother who disrespects her own daughter in such a way. I've been on your side before anything ever happened. She gave me a fake scenario and I told her the mother wasn't to be trusted near the daughter's man. Learning it was you and Lola she spoke of all that time just sickens me!"

Unresponsive, he just stares at Lola. I then say, "Why do you ask? Has something happened?"

"The police think Lola was murdered."

"Wait? W-What?"

Glancing towards me, he simply nods. "Who'd murder Lola?"

He looks up wide eyed as he inhales deep. Through squinted eyes I ask, "Do you believe that?"