ABERLEEN ARC: A Sardonic Smile

Fake, eh?

Lesley Vance could think of nothing else as they watched the duke and his future duchess dancing together. They danced as if they were trapped in their own little bubble, their eyes never leaving each other. In her opinion, no two people, no matter how well they acted, could have faked the emotions she saw in their eyes.

Love.

She was quite sure of it, just as she was sure of her targets.

She wondered what Gusion would make of this. He was somewhere in the castle, keeping out of sight, but always watching. She glanced briefly out the large windows as if she could see him staring back at her.

The music swelled to a crescendo and they watched as the duke gently lifted his fiancée in a graceful spin before setting her down on her feet. The music continued to crest as the duke brought Diana down in an elegant dip, before bringing her back up. He drew her close.

Anyone would have missed it, but not her. With her sharp eye, there was no mistaking the look of love and desire in the duke's cold eyes.

She was certain, more than ever, that the duke loved his fake fiancée. And she loved him.

Well, so much for a fake engagement.

The music slowly faded away. Lesley watched, surprised, as the duke tilted Diana's chin upwards and kissed her. Several people let out little gasps of surprise. The women beside her immediately began fanning themselves. Lesley resisted the temptation to roll her eyes. Goodness, it was just a kiss, after all.

Not to Diana, apparently.

Lesley watched as the woman's hazel eyes widened in surprise, a blush blooming on her face. A moment later, Diana closed her eyes, her fingers lightly caressing the duke's cheek as she kissed him back.

"I have never been more proud of our older brother than in this moment," she heard Vassago Paxley say with a simper.

"I told you, Amy, didn't I?" a golden-haired man beside Amy Paxley said. Smugness radiated of him in waves.

"Yes, yes, you were right," Amy replied with a roll of her eyes. "That's still my brother, Cameron, and my future sister-in-law. Be respectful."

The duke and Diana pulled away from each other as everyone around them began to applaud. Around them, couples began to move towards the dance floor. She watched as Vassago led a lovely black-haired woman to the floor. Berith Paxley gave his sister, Sitri, a bow. Sitri laughed as Berith led her off to dance.

Lesley stood closer to the window, preferring to hang back and watch. That was her best forte after all. She watched from afar.

The orchestra struck up a new tune, livelier now, compared to the waltz earlier. She watched as duke Paxley slowly made his way towards the Lightborn troops. He bowed before Princess Silvanna and offered her his hand in a dance.

Silvanna was both fierce and beautiful. Her long, blonde hair was plaited over her shoulder, and her powder blue gown shimmered beneath the ballroom lights. Lesley watched as the duke led the princess in a dance amidst the other couples on the dance floor. Occasionally, the duke would bend just a little closer to the princess and whisper something in her ear, to which Silvanna would reply.

Lesley frowned, curious. There were far too many people to lip read clearly, but she could have sworn the duke mentioned the words 'heart', 'war', and 'Azrya.' She returned to observing Silvanna again.

It was the first time Lesley had seen the Princess up close. Both a fierce warrioress, and a compassionate princess, Silvanna was well loved by the people of the Moniyan empire. However, despite her courage and daring on the battlefield, Lesley knew for a fact that the princess relied on Aamon Paxley's advice when it came to politics, warfare and the domestic affairs of the empire. That was what House Paxley was, after all. The silent shadow pulling the strings of the empire.