ABERLEEN ARC: Freefall

Sitri and I followed Berith and the dire wolf through the castle's brightly lit hallways. The servants we passed all gave us a wide berth, eyeing the dire wolf with both apprehension and caution. Sitri skipped happily beside the wolf, not at all concerned about his size.

I wish I could say the same of me.

I loved dogs, but this wolf was large.

As though sensing my unease, the great wolf glanced at me from over its muscular shoulder, and I hastily shifted closer to Berith.

"Don't be afraid," Berith said calmly, looking back at me. "Sable is quite friendly, despite his intimidating size."

"I take it, he's one of your many familiars?" I asked.

He smiled at me. "One of many," he agreed.

"And, uh, you don't really stutter, do you?" I asked hesitantly.

He let out a small laugh, and I was reminded of the way Aamon laughed. "No, I don't," he said. "Making people think you're an unremarkable, nervous wreck works rather well for me."

"Especially since you're Aamon's head of intelligence?" I guessed.

"He told you that, didn't he?" Berith said. He sounded thoughtful. "It was his idea, originally, when we were much younger. Hide your strength, Berith. Use your cunning. Make your enemies think you are weak, so they lower their guard around you. Strike when they least expect it. Let yourself be underestimated."

"He does have a point, I suppose," I said. Who knew Aamon had it in him to be very Machiavellian? "Does Gusion know about you? He once told me you were an unremarkable wallflower."

"Oh, he does," Berith said airily. "Aamon instructed them to talk about me in such manner. No one could suspect the stuttering, nervous man to be the head of Aamon's spy network."

"Is that your magic, then?" I asked. "Espionage by controlling animals?"

"That," Berith said, turning to me with a small smirk, "is a trade secret. But, yes, I can control and talk to any beasts in the Land of Dawn. Though I do not 'control' my closest familiars, including Sable. The only animal I cannot control is Tyrasos. For some reason, that dragon only listens to Aamon and Eren."

"Tyrasos loves cinnamon toast!" Sitri piped up. "I bring her some after breakfast sometimes."

"And Sitri," Berith said. "Tyrasos is very fond of Sitri. Little bud, why don't you take Sable, and go on ahead to Aamon's apartments? I believe Lesley Vance could use your company. Though, you may want to leave Sable outside, lest you want to give Lady Vance a fright."

"But what about Diana?" Sitri asked with a pout.

"Diana and I will go see Aamon," Berith said.

Sitri gave me a quick hug as she bustled off, Sable following close behind her, as silent as a shadow. "I thought Aamon would be in our apartments," I mused as I turned to Berith.

"No, he and Gusion are in the study," Berith said. "Along with Amy, Vassago and Eren."

"Paxley sibling reunion?" I guessed.

"Not quite," Berith said.

We rounded a corner and found ourselves in the familiar hallway with the portraits of former dukes and duchesses. Berith opened the door to Aamon's study and ushered me inside.

It was a rather intimidating tableau that greeted me. Aamon was sitting at his desk, fingers interlaced together in deep thought. Amy was leaning against his desk, tape measure still slung about her neck, and a pair of scissors tucked behind one ear. Gusion leaned against the wall next to the cellarette tossing a dagger up in down in the air. Across from him, Vassago was engrossed in a book from Aamon's shelf. Only Eren sat on the luxurious sofa. Like Vassago, he had an open book on his lap.