Part 13

I walked into my house and started cooking, expecting Valt to appear from wherever he was hiding upon the smell of food. He was predictable like that. In a good way, that is. It took a minute, but eventually I heard a load of things topple over and then Valt appeared at the table. I don't know how he hasn't been kidnapped or something yet. I think being the talkative person he is is the only thing that has kept him in his mother's care, and I don't know whether that's amazing or terrifying. His mother must worry to no bounds about him, and I don't blame her. He is a walking catastrophe, and nobody can do anything about it.

"You want some?" I offered, knowing this was the best way to get him to talk. He nodded frantically and I chuckled. Some things never change. It's refreshing, actually. I'm glad. He was my one constant when everything else was falling apart. My rock when nothing else made sense. The sole reason I made it this far. And it shows, sometimes. I have picked up quite a few of his tendencies, and I would hope that I've made him slightly more aware of his own actions, but it's hard to tell with Valt. I dished us both up with some spaghetti and sat down at the table with him. We ate in silence, and it was awkward. I watched him for a bit and he smiled at me.

"What's up, Shu?" He had a kind look in his eyes, and I was surprised. The last time we spoke it didn't end on the best note, and it was my fault. But, in my defence, the more that gets uncovered, the more it seems he's a leading factor in all of this. A boy I once idolised as this beacon of hope who could do no wrong turned out to be the one who helped to break my family apart. But that shouldn't be surprising. It never is. They do say that your friends can hurt you worse than your enemies.

I put my fork down and sighed, deciding to once again face my problems head on. The truth needed to come to light, and he's the only person who would know anything about it, as much as I hated the idea, but it is what it is, I guess. "I need to talk to you about something, Valt. Lost boy to miracle child."

There was a shocked look on his face, but acceptance came quickly after. He knew what was happening. He fully expected this to come up at some stage. Whether he wanted to face it was another story. Valt smiled at me, and it seemed fake. He was forcing himself. "Talk to me. What's on your mind?"

"On that fateful day, when my father died, was there any chance you saved him? Whether that miracle was intentional or not, were you able to change his fate?" I had never felt so desperate as I looked over at my best friend, who only held pity in his eyes as he watched my life slowly crumble around me, knowing there was nothing else he could do despite being the wonder boy. I didn't expect much from him, anyway. And by that look, I'm guessing that's a no then. This entire plan was doomed from the start. I should have known. Happy ever after has never existed, and I don't know why I ever had faith in the idea.

"I never really wanted it to come to this, but you have a right to know, Shu." Valt stood up and made his way towards his backpack, and I couldn't help but hold my breath. This could be the breakthrough we needed, and he had it all along. Our hope is shining through once again. I don't think he realises how much this means to me. "Just know that I never meant to hurt you. I was just as scared and confused as you were. I didn't know what I was doing. I was a child as well. And I performed this miracle in the name of my best friend. In the hope that one day I would get to see that smile of his one more time." There were tears in his eyes as he took a glass ball out of his bag and then dropped it on the floor. And you know what, I couldn't even be mad anymore. We were just kids. Little fucking kids. None of us knew what we were doing, and we didn't deserve the treatment we got. It wasn't fair.  But this world is a cruel place, and it never cared about fairness.