Part 5

"What do you mean to protect me?" I asked, confused. She better not give me some bullcrap reason or I swear to Fafnir I will be mad and it will not end well. That is a promise.

"The mafia wanted you." There were tears in her eyes and I cocked an eyebrow. That explains literally NOTHING. Was she hoping that would answer all my questions or something?

"Okay, but why?" I asked, hoping to unravel all the mysteries that surrounded this before the night ended. I've got school tomorrow, and I would rather be there than here in this depressing place.

"You're rare, Shu. You must know that by now. There's no one else like you." She said, placing a hand on my cheek, a sad look in her eyes. I'm going to need more of an explanation other than 'you're special'.

"Special in what way?" I pushed her hand away, and a look of surprise briefly crossed her face. The surprise soon turned to annoyance when I denied any knowledge of what she was talking about. "What? You mean me looks or what?"

"No, Shu, I mean your abilities." She snapped, and I just stared at her. My abilities? But... How did they know? "Don't tell me you've forgotten about them?"

"No, I haven't." I still use them in my day to day life, not that she needs to know that. But why do they know about my abilities? I looked at Mizusawa, who was just staring at his tea. What does he know about this? "How do they know?"

"It's always been a part of our bloodline. I can do it to a certain extent. But you... You're the most powerful one to date." She said, and there was fear in her eyes. Why am I not surprised?

I guess I should explain this whole "ability" thing. I can see the future. Sounds cool, right? Well, it's not. I know everything about everyone's future, and it is horrible. I hate it. There's no avoiding it.

I can also see everyone's pasts. This one I like a little more than I like the future one. It's interesting seeing what people have been through. But it's also hard - seeing how they've grown up and then seeing how they'll develop in the future can sometimes be soul crushing. An ability I wish I never had.

"About your abilities." Mizusawa piped up "How far can you see?"

"I can see a persons entire lifespan." I told him, a knot appearing in my stomach. "So what, you said you would be an assassin in return for my life?"

"Basically, yes." She gave me a small shrug, as if I shouldn't have expected any different.

"Then you've already lost to them." I told her, standing up. I was done with this conversation.

"What do you mean? How have I already lost?" She asked, the desperation clear in her voice. How pitiful.

"You lost the moment you surrendered your life over to them. Now they have both us under their control, plus all those people you've 'killed', including any future ones." I told her, and there was horror on her face. She never thought about it like that. Typical. As long as she could still use me, what did she care?

"You couldn't have expected her to think like that when het child's life is on the life?" I felt Mizusawa's eyes on me, and I looked at him. "And here I thought you were the smart one, Shu. Why don't you look into the past for us?"

I sighed "I don't need to. I know what happened. I just never wanted to accept it - that painful truth."

"What do you know?" My mum asked through gritted teeth.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" I gave her a sour look.

"This is important, Shu. What you know could kill you."