Part 1

Shu's POV:

"Shu! Clean the attic!" I heard my mum yell, and I looked up from my phone with a sigh, glancing at my half-finished homework that was supposed to be finished an hour ago. I may have gotten distracted.

"But mum, you said you wouldn't make me do any chores when you came back," I complained, and she was suddenly in my room. She gripped my hair and pulled me up, pushing me towards the door. "Ow, mum, you're hurting me."

"I don't care. Go and clean the attic or I'm taking Spryzen." She threatened, and I scowled at her. Mum tugged on my hair and I winced in pain. "Drop the attitude. You're getting lazy."

"Fine. I'm sorry, mum. Please let go of me." I begged, and she let go of my hair, giving me a threatening look before walking away. I let out an irritated sigh before making my way toward the attic. When I reached it, I poked my head in and my face dropped. It was a mess. Of course, it was. I guess I better start.

I put some music on and started cleaning. The one week she's back and she doesn't do a single thing with me. Instead, she makes sure we're as far away from each other as humanely possible. It's not fair. All I ask for is that we spend an hour together. But no. That's too much. It's not like she's here often. One or two weeks a year, if I'm lucky. The least she could do is spend time with me.

I stopped when I came across a box full of glass balls. Since when was she into this kind of stuff? I took a ball out and turned it around in my hand. There was a name engraved into it. Akio Mizusawa? I recognised that name from somewhere.

"SHU! HOW MUCH DO YOU HAVE LEFT?" Mum shouted, and I yelped in surprise, dropping the glass ball. A warning, next time, please. I looked down at the now shattered glass ball and sighed. Great. Now there's more mess to clean up.

"I'm ABOUT HALF WAY DONE, MUM," I shouted back. There was a mist that appeared around the ball. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Where's it coming from? Suddenly, there was a man in front of me. I stared at him for a moment, not quite sure how to react. "So you're Akio Mizusawa?"

The first ever blader. So that's where I recognise him from. Not what I was expecting this evening, but it was a lot more interesting than what I had planned. I guess it could be worse.

"That was a lot more chilled reaction than I thought it would be." He told me, narrowing his eyes at me. "How old are you?"

"Stranger danger."

"Blader?"

"Unfortunately."

"Name?"

"Shu Kurenai."

"Kurenai? Wait, is your mother Mizuki Kurenai?" He stared at me as he awaited an answer, and I fidgeted underneath his gaze.

"Yeah, why?" I glanced around the room, wanting to look anywhere but at him.

"So you're her monster of a child?" It was more of a statement rather than a question. I looked at him and blinked a couple of times.

"Excuse me?"