Chapter 2: An Unlikely Friendship

Author's Notes: And here we are in the second chapter of the book. Have a good read ^^

Edit: In January 2024, I received two beautiful artworks of the two protagonists of my book, made by isa-sketches, a super talented and very friendly artist who makes wonderful artwork. Seriously, her art is amazing! If you want to see her work, click on these links here: https://www.tumblr.com/isa-sketches, https://www.instagram.com/isa.sketches/ and https://twitter.com/Isa_sketches

So besides reading this chapter, enjoy this drawing of Emily ❤️

A week later, Emily was watching television while her mother was getting ready for work

A week later, Emily was watching television while her mother was getting ready for work. During the rush, Sarah saw some girls the same age as her daughter in the window, talking on the street.

— There are some girls your age outside talking.

— And?

— If you would at least make the effort to get to know them, that would be really nice of you.

— "That would be really nice of you", nhê nhê nhê... Ah, give it a break, mom.

— Daughter, don't you think you're very lonely lately?

— I don't need friends, mom.

— Ah, but everyone needs someone in their life, be it a friend, a boyfriend... Look, since the day your father and I divorced when you were a child, we both moved here to have a new life. But the problem is that you haven't even tried to make new friends, to get along with the people here.

— I've tried to do that, but the problem is that I'm one of the most rejected students at school. Nobody wanted to be friends with me, everyone in this city thinks I'm a stranger. You know that feeling of being on another planet? I don't fit in here, I miss my childhood friends, my old school and I really miss the times when we were a family together, you know. And even if I managed to make friends, unfortunately there is no true friendship, everyone around you are fake people who don't have an ounce of consideration.

— Look, I know that most friendships aren't true and that's true. But I assure you that true friendships do exist, but they are rare. True friendship is one that is born for no reason, it is something that appears in a way that you least expect. This friend may even be the last person you would want to be friends with. And remember: A true friend is someone who doesn't judge you, but who helps you evolve as a person. Give it a chance, go. It doesn't hurt to try, right?

- All right mother. Thank you for the advice.

— Oh, and before I forget. I'm going out with my office friends tonight. So I've already made your dinner, just heat it up in the microwave. Changing the subject, have you ever thought more about Texas?

— I don't want to go to that all-girls boarding school!

— I see that you totally forgot about our topic today, right?