Chapter 1: End of Classes

Author's Notes: Here is the first chapter of my story. Have a good read ^^

Edit: In January 2024, I received two beautiful artworks of the two protagonists of my book, made by isa-sketches, a super talented and very friendly artist who makes wonderful artwork. Seriously, her art is amazing! If you want to see her work, click on these links here: https://www.tumblr.com/isa-sketches, https://www.instagram.com/isa.sketches/ and https://twitter.com/Isa_sketches

So besides reading this chapter, enjoy this drawing of Nathan ❤️

It was a Friday afternoon in Silverlake, a metropolis in Minnesota

It was a Friday afternoon in Silverlake, a metropolis in Minnesota. The sun was shining brightly that day, the sky was a little cloudy, the birds were singing happily and the wind was blowing gently. It was May 1994, which was the last day of school, as the summer holidays were approaching. At a state school in the city, there was a 12-year-old girl and her name was Emily.

She seemed to be quite anxious, drawing in her notebook, barely paying attention in class and waiting for the bell to ring so she can say goodbye to school and finally enjoy her vacation. The teacher didn't stop chatting and none of the bells echoed.

— Wow, this last day of school seems like an endless eternity... — Emily thought, as she stopped drawing and started shaking her feet without stopping. — When will this class end?

After a few minutes, the bell finally rang and all the students present quickly put away their school supplies and ran out of the school. Some even celebrated the end of classes, as if it were a grandstand full of fans celebrating the victory of their soccer team. After class ended, Emily was heading back home.

She was listening to Black Or White, a song by the late King of Pop Michael Jackson, on her Walkman. Furthermore, Emily was taking some photos of the neighborhood while walking home and listening to music, where one of the photos she managed to take was of a beautiful blue butterfly, which had landed on a rose in an old lady's garden. However, a few meters in front of her were Michael – a 13-year-old boy who is the school and neighborhood bully – and his associates.

That group of five bullies were attacking a poor little boy, humiliating him in front of everyone who passed by. Upon seeing Emily, Michael waved to her.

— Hey Emily, take a photo of this little faggot here.

— Not today, Michael. Maybe another day.

— What's up, cutie? Just do as I say.

— I'm not taking a picture of this, dude. Leave him alone.

— Take the photo, Emily!

— Let him go, Michael! Come here, are you attacking this boy just because he is gay?

— Not only that, he's also been giving his ass to all the fags in town. But in the end he got fucked, because he ended up contracting AIDS. Who's in charge of pillow biting around, isn't it, batty boy? Now take the fucking picture, Emily!