24🧹

"Why are you here Simon?" Silas questioned, his patience had ran out the moment he saw the older man. "I know your not too happy with me but it's been a year can't we let bygones be—"

"You know I can still always fulfill my wish as a only child" he smirked as Simon visibly tensed. "Unnecessary brother, I'm just here to deliver a message"

"Oh?" Silas said uncaringly. "Dad's dying, he's got cancer, stage 4. He found out a little while ago and thought if he kept it under wraps no one would ever find out, and the disease would go away" Simon explained.

"Sounds like a personal problem" Silas mumbled.

Though Simon wasn't the biggest fan of his father either, he was still his father. The man that raised him, helped him in his surgeon career. Without his father he would be nothing. Plus, the old man had left quite the inheritance and life insurance policy.

If the old man died, and his brother would be receiving a payout of over 250 million dollars a piece, in that's just the inheritance. Simon would play the role of the good elder son a little bit longer.

"He wants to see you. Make amends I guess" Simon said, he had promised his father he would get Silas to come home. If he did it would be sealed.

"No thanks. Now leave" Simon eyes wandered over to the young woman in the kitchen. Emery had been listening in while she chopped up the steak she planned to use for her hibachi.

She wanted so badly to tell Silas to change his mind, but she herself couldn't even forgive her own mother. She would be a hypocrite to tell him how to feel.

"Look Silas, I didn't come here for a fight. Father wants us around, he wants you specifically. Bring the girl, come see our father before it's too late" Simon stood from the couch.

He once towered over his little brother, but definitely not anymore. Silas was the exact replica of their dad. The hair, full beard, and his striking, green eyes. He was the man's twin.

Silas opened the door, slamming it shut once Simon was out. Emery said nothing as she watched the man she loved slowly crumble. He didn't have to show it, because Emery could feel it.

He may have had issues with his dad, but hearing that he was dying broke Silas's heart. He wouldn't say he hate his father but he damn sure didn't like the way he dealt with things, especially in their family.

"Silas" Emery was careful with her words. "Maybe you should—"

"Don't Emery" Silas spoke. She was taken aback by his tone. "I didn't mean to overstep I just meant—"

"I honestly don't give a fuck what you meant, just stay out of it. Stay in your place" Silas snapped. Emery froze. Silas had went too far.

Emery slammed the knife down. "So what place is that. Huh, Silas. Is it that place as your maid, lover or sex slut?" Emery questioned.

Emery scoffed. "Matter fact don't answer that"

"You don't understand—"

"I don't understand what? What it means to have a shitty parent?" She asked rhetorically. "I'm not doing this with you" he finally said.

"Cool. Nor am I, like you said stay in place right?" Silas let out a frustrated laugh. "Just do your job Emery!"

She blinked back a couple times. He couldn't be serious right now. "Fuck you." She spat angrily.

"I'm so sick of people constantly using my place in life as a statement of who I am" she stated. "And you of all people, telling me to stay in my place, and do my job. Fuck you"

"Yes. Emery! Your place, you have no right telling me how to deal with my father. You don't even have one! And the parent you do have obviously didn't give a fu—" he stopped mid-sentence.

What the fuck am I saying. What's wrong with me. He thought. He saw the instant hurt in her eyes. "Your right, Mr. Brody. I over stepped" she said her tone dry.

Regret. Instant regret.

"I'll have dinner prepare for you in the next hour, sir" Emery said lowly, continuing to cook in silence.

Silas wanted so badly to take it all back, but from the way she was acting to what he said.  There was no taking it back.

Emery chopped up the rest of the meat. Her tears falling silently. She knew this would be a mistake a some point, but she wanted to believe that their different status's in life wouldn't affect them.

But it did; and he made it clear, she will always be his maid.

Silas went upstairs, the moment he made it to the bedroom he threw a lamp across the floor. The smashing was so loud it caused Emery to jump, and Ace to bark.

Emery ignored it, remained in her place. His words broke through her wall, the one she kept up for years. She was so use to keeping her guard up, that she didn't even notice it was down till he made that comment.

She regretted opening up, regretted letting him in and allowing him to hold a piece of her heart.

She wipe her tears away. Emery was determined not to let that little girl so full of pain, and hatred step through her threshold. That wasn't who she was anymore, she wasn't gone let it ruin her. Instead she would fall back, give him his space. She had gotten to comfortable, girlfriend or not she still had a job to do.

Silas had broken just about everything in his room

Silas had broken just about everything in his room. Mirrors, lamps, tables he even managed to break his headboard. He was 31 years old. And within a matter of minutes, it seemed that all the rage he held in all these years against his father came out. He was back to being the prodigal son. 

He was fucking idiot, Silas knew what Emery had gone through, and without thinking made her into his emotional punching bag . He demeaned her, and threw it in her face that she was broken.

He made her the bad guy of his story, and she shut down because of it. Silas knew he deserved it. He also knew didn't deserve her if he was gonna act like this when they argue.

A soft knock came from the door. Silas hesitantly opened it. She saw the room, the disastrous state it was in. "Dinner is ready Mr. Brody" she announced.

She didn't have the heart to look at him, so instead she kept her eyes on the floor. Silas tried to reach for her but she moved away. "I'll be going back to the guest house, the kitchen is cleaned, and the food put up. Good night sir." She told him.

"Emery please" he started. "Baby" he spoke again.

Emery still refused to look at him, holding back the tears. "Emery I'm so sorry. I shouldn't— I don't even.." he sighed.

He took her hands in his. "Baby look at me" he cooed. She couldn't.

She removed her hands from his. "Good night, Mr. Brody" her voice cracked towards the end. Before he could console her, she turned on her heels damn near running away. Taking his heart with her.