I wince prematurely before I ask this next question. "Do you, um...I mean, Haven has never really panicked about anything around me before, so...any advice on how to handle it best?"

"Well, I think it's good that you sound calm for starters, but she just wants to feel safe, that's all. Just keep telling her that everything's going to be fine, but don't tell her to calm down either. She'll do that on her own if you just reassure her."

"Okay, thanks," I look down at Lily as she starts to stir in my arms a bit. "Are you guys okay over there? Do you need anything?"

"We're set, but thanks," he answers. "Margaret has an obsession with food storage in case of natural disasters or pandemics now, I guess, so we have plenty of food if you guys need anything."

"Alright, well I appreciate the call," I stand before Lily can start crying. "Be safe over there."

"Yeah, you guys, too."

Maybe two minutes after we hung up, Haven comes out of the bedroom with her hair in a bun and red eyes. She's still sniffling as she bends over to pick Jack up off the floor, holding him on her hip to take him into the kitchen with her. I tread lightly to follow her in, wondering how to approach this without setting her off again.

"Was that your mum on the phone?"

She looks like she's about to start crying all over again as she nods and fills a glass of water for herself, taking a second to drink even as her tears keep sliding down her cheeks. It makes me feel awful, but I don't want to sound like an idiot by asking her if she's okay when she's clearly not.

"How are they doing over there?" I ask instead, following her back to the couch.

"She said they're good and they have a lot of food and everything," she rolls her lips together as Jack reaches out to touch them, smiling as she holds him with his feet on her lap.

"Yeah, we're all set too, so that's good. We just need to get diapers or else we'll be in a lot of trouble," I say in an attempt to make her laugh because it worked on her dad, but her tears start slipping out again as she hugs Jack to her chest. "C'mere, Hay."

Thankfully, she starts scooting over to me as soon as I extend the invitation, settling into my side with both the babies on our laps. They smile at the sight of the other, still oblivious as they touch each other's faces.

"Talk to me," I rest my head on hers as she lets Jack and Lily take hold of her fingers.

"I'm just scared," she answers softly, but her voice wavers as it raises in pitch. "I didn't think it was going to be this serious and now people are dying, and what are we supposed to do? How long are we not going to be allowed to see our friends and family? Your family isn't even in the country and you haven't seen them in months. What happens if they get sick and we can't see them and something happens?"

Jesus. I hadn't quite gotten that far in my head, but now I'm wondering the same thing. I'm sure my mom and Gemma are being safe and staying home, but I don't know. And what about my mum's farm and all the people who work for her? How is she going to keep it all running?

"I know it's a lot to take in," I set my fears aside to confront hers first, kissing her head as she continues wiping her tears. "But that's why we have the mandate to stay inside. I don't see how we can get sick if we just stay home and don't see anyone else, and I know our friends and family are going to do the same."

"What about your tour?" She gasps. "You can't go on tour now."

"Yeah, I know," I nod and flip my phone over on the couch to see the screen. I'm assuming Jeff is going to call me any minute now and tell me that we'll need to push it back, but then...that might just be the silver lining to this whole thing. I'm not about to say that a worldwide pandemic in which people are dying is a blessing for me, but I can't exactly be angry about being forced to stay home with my family either.

DelicateOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara