Chapter 10

Losing his father was a huge hit to Thabiso but he was use to losing people he loved. His heart was broken beyond repair but he was at peace with the situation. His father always said he would die this way. That was the way of the life they lived.

He looked at a sleeping Rita and felt a sense of relief that she was okay. When he saw the blood oozing from her leg he felt like dying. She had crawled under his skin and made a permanent residence. She made him feel emotions he tucked away years ago.

"Why you looking at me?" Rita asked sounding very sleepy. "I am making sure you are still alive." Thabiso joked. "I am sorry about your dad." Rita said smuggling deeper into his chest. "Thanks." Thabiso said softly. "How are you feeling?" Thabiso said changing the topic. He knew he had to deal with his fathers death but he wasn't ready to leave the room.

"The pain meds are doing the most." Rita laughed. "I am glad you're feeling better. The doctor said the bullet went through the flesh. Nothing major. You should be back on your feet in no time." Thabiso said exhaling. "Thank you." Rita said. "This was all my fault. I got you into this mess." Thabiso said feeling helpless. "Nope, I went to a reserved bathroom cause I didn't wanna wait in line and got myself into this mess." Rita corrected him. "You didn't shoot that guy and you not trying to kill me. So none of this is your fault. Actually, your my knight in shining armour" Rita chuckled. "Are you always this hardheaded? Get some sleep ." Thabiso said closing his eyes. He hadn't taken a breath since he got to the clinic hours ago.

The doctor had arranged for the Bhengu brothers to come pick up his father. Thabiso sat in the empty room alone. Just a few months ago he brought his father for a check up in this very room. Now he was gone forever. "I miss you." Thabiso said to the silence in the room. "I wish I had more time with you. The Bhengu brothers will transport your body to Nigeria. You will be buried on your fathers land like you wanted." Thabiso said. He felt sadness like never before and he didn't want to admit that it felt better when he was around Rita.  He had to get over her cause once all this was over she would leave like everyone in his life. "I miss you dad." Thabiso said letting his tears flow.

"Rita? How are you feeling?" Abby asked walking into the room. "I am okay friend." Rita said smiling. "I was so scared. Who is this guy Rita?" Abby asked sitting down and taking Rita's hand to make sure she was not dreaming. "He is... Abby I need you to trust me. You can go home. Thabiso will look after me. Please, don't tell anyone about what happened today." Rita begged her friend.

She couldn't leave his side. The look in his eyes when he found out that his father was gone tore so deep into Rita's heart. For the first time since meeting him she saw emotion on his face. "I trust you." Abby finally said after thinking. "You  call me every night, okay." Abby said firmly. "Cool." Rita said smiling. "I don't know what this is but I can tell you care about him. Just be careful please." Abby said hugging her friend. "I promise." Rita said.

Time went by so fast after they left the hospital. Thabiso spent the next two days planning their trip to Nigeria. It wasn't easy taking almost fifty people from SA to Nigeria and some of them didn't have legal documents. He had to throw money around to make this happen. His father valued family and he would make sure everyone was there to bid him farewell. Rita also asked if she could go with. She had been working from home so as long as her deadlines were met her boss was not a cunt about where she was. She called him every night and showed up at his mothers house a few times to help him with her. She was caught in his web of sorrow and he appreciated the help.

"Hey cuz how are you holding up?" Thomas asked as he walked into the study. "I don't know. I have been on autopilot since it happened." Thabiso said honestly. He could speak freely to Thomas. Thomas was more than a cousin he was like his brother. He could always count on him.

"I understand man. I am here if you need any help." Thomas said. "You doing enough man. Hunting down those fucks that killed my dad and putting them down means the world." Thabiso said fist bumping Thomas. "He was like my father too." Thomas said pouring them some whiskey. "I know." Thabiso said. The contractors that took the job to kill his dead were all dead. Thomas made sure that everyone was dead.

"Hold things down while I am gone. We will be in Nigeria for a week. Call me if anything happens and I will be here in a flash." Thabiso said sternly. "Noted. The money week is over so things are calm now. We just have to take out those dicks." Thomas said. "I know. I am going to lay down my dad and after that blood will fill the streets." Thabiso said looking at his cousin with a silent promise.

"Rita." Thabiso said for the second time. "Oh, sorry I was sending some emails for work." Rita said looking at Thabiso from her screen. Rita had no ideas why she volunteered to go to Nigeria but she did. She packed a small bag and now was on her way to a country with people she hardly even knew. Thabiso was on her mind all the time. She couldn't be away from him. Having him close gave her peace.

"Do you want anything to eat?" Thabiso asked. "No thanks." Rita said smiling. "Your mom has slept well since being on this plane." Rita said looking at Tumi wrapped in a blanket her husband loved. Tumi kept saying it smelled like him. Rita's heart went out for Tumi she reminded her of her mother. So fragile and beautiful. "Thank you for looking after her." Thabiso said. "She is an amazing woman." Rita said.

Rita hated flying but she was drawn to this man. He had this pull on her and she couldn't help it. Cold blooded man was the one her heart chose to love. The flight to Nigeria was long but Rita was busy with work that she don't have time to sleep. She was not sure if she would have connection once they landed so she used the time wisely.

After ten or so hours the plane landed in Abuja and they drove to a very effluent area. The houses were like palaces and the cars were matching the aesthetics. "This is my grandmothers house." Thabiso said as the drove into the yard. Beautiful was an understatement. The house had a huge water fountain in the parking area. The landscape was crisp and well maintained. There were butlers and helpers all over. The car stopped and Thabiso lead his mother and Rita to the front door.

They were met by a group of women crying hysterically. They kept throwing themselves on the floor and wailing loudly. "You look like brother!" One of the woman said to Thabiso. He nodded and looked at Rita. Thabiso jumped over one of the woman who fell prostrate on the floor and wailing like a child. He grabbed Rita's hand and walked off . He took his mother to one room and his aunt stayed with her. "These people never called my father when he was alive and now they acting a fool." Thabiso said smacking his lips.