Chapter 22 - The Basement

Start bij het begin

"I do. Let's do this."

Walking through the streets of Shiganshina was something Leah had been avoiding at all costs and was just as haunting as she'd anticipated.

Once familiar streets were now just the shell of what they used to be. And the more familiar things got, the harder Leah found it to breathe.

It had been a while since she'd had one of her 'episodes'. She had a feeling if it was going to happen at all, it would be here; at the setting of the most traumatic day of her life.

With her attention too focused on the passing buildings and memories flooding to her as they strolled through the district led by Eren and Mikasa, Leah didn't notice when they turned onto the street she had once lived on. In fact, it wasn't until her eyes fell upon the wreckage of her childhood home that she caught on. Her fingers tingled unsettlingly.

Her legs felt like they were made of lead, and despite her best attempts, Leah couldn't manipulate them into working again. She stood stock-still on the dusty street, imaging the house in its former glory.

Just as the tightness in her chest became unbearable, the sun reflected off some metal in the debris and a sparkle caught Leah's eye, helping her regain control of her legs and step forward.

She crouched on the spot and cautiously picked out the metal with her index finger and thumb and as she stood up she gazed at it in wonderment. Dangling down between her fingers was a begrimed silver chain necklace, with a charming silver heart pendant.

Leah remembered receiving this necklace from her mother as a naive 12 year old, unaware of the fact the woman had been saving up to get her this for this for years. It was beautiful then, and still beautiful now.

Leah dropped the necklace into the palm of her opposite hand before closing her fist around it. She lifted her hand to kiss her knuckles and gazed back at the building one last time.

A hand gently pressed against Leah's back and combated her approaching wave of vertigo. Her black-haired co-Captain had appeared yet again just in time to stop the rush of dangerous nostalgia that left her unconscious and drowning in a tsunami of memories, and for the first time Leah realised this crippling flashbacks wouldn't be an issue anymore as long as she had Levi. He didn't have to say anything, his presence was enough. She allowed him to lead her away and back towards the rest of the group a couple yards ahead.

Though Levi's hand had lingered on her spine, he eventually dropped his arm and walked alongside her in silence. He didn't have to ask if that was her house; he could tell by the range of emotions playing over her face that there was a historical significance there.

"Are you doing alright?" He asked unsurely. The last time Levi had sounded so unsure, Leah remembered, was the last time they'd guarded Annie's crystal. That day felt like such a distant memory now. And as she thought about it, a lot had changed between them since then.

"Not the best." She replied wistfully, letting her gaze drop to her feet as she walked. "I thought I'd accepted Erwin's death... but I miss him already."

Levi wasn't one for spur of the moment decisions, but this was one of his best. Innately, Levi's hand found Leah's as they continued to walk side by side and he gently interlocked their fingers.

Leah, though not protesting one bit, looked to Levi with large, dilated pupils. His gaze was fixed firmly on the Scouts ahead of them, though Leah noticed the muscles in his jaw flex slightly. Levi fought the urge to meet Leah's beguiling emerald eyes. When she looked away again, a faint pink spread across her cheeks. "I miss him too." Simple as it were, Leah found comfort in his words and in the fact she wasn't alone in this.