2. The Kiss

After my parents tell me and my sister that they are selling off some of the hotels, we go out and grab a bite to eat. The whole time I am worried about Adam, I know this is so hard on him and Sam. My father or as I normally call him papa bear lays a hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry Bray, Uncle Ryan and Aunt Shay will help take care of them." I nod my head because I'm afraid if I speak, I will get choked up. We continue our meal until it is time to go home, which I cannot wait for. I just am waiting for Adam to come over that way I know he is alright once I see him.

I'm in my room strumming my guitar as the door flies open when an angry looking Adam comes storming in. I stop the moment I see him, but he surprises me and flops down next to me. "Don't stop...please." He begs and lets out a sigh as he hugs his knees. I can see that his lips tremble and I just have this strong urge to hug him. Instead I start playing a song and humming along. I look over and see Adam slightly relaxing next to me. "Sing for me." I was going to protest but the defeated look on his face has me caving in. I change the song since I do not have lyrics to that melody as of yet.

🎶Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
Singin': "Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!🎶

🎶Rise up this mornin',
Smiled with the risin' sun,
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true,
Sayin', ("This is my message to you-ou-ou:") 🎶

Adam bursts out with laughter when I make my voice pitch at the you-ou-ou part and nudges my shoulder. I lean over and put my guitar on its stand that is within arm's reach from me. When I am back in my original spot, he leans his head on my shoulder and sighs. "Thank you."

"Anytime, Adam. Do you want to talk about it?"

I know it's a long shot to ask. He never wants to talk about it, but I give it a shot any ways. He shakes his head and yawns. I feel his breath against my neck, and I close my eyes for a moment just to get rid of these thoughts. I know this day has been tiring on him just from seeing the dark shadows under his eyes, once I open my eyes and look at him.

"I'm tired." He moves his head from my shoulder, and I go to stand up and stretch out my hand to help him up. When he stands his legs wobble a little and his hands land on my shoulders to steady himself. I look up at him and curse inwardly when I stare into his eyes. His breath comes out ragged. "You're my best friend Bray, I don't know what I would do without you."

"M-me too." I stutter out and then it's silent as we just stare into each other's eyes. I really can't tell you who leaned in first, but I felt his lips brush against mine for a brief moment. I could swear that it was all in my head. His forehead is against mine a moment later as he lets out a deep sigh.

"I shouldn't have done that." He breaks away from me and strips down to his boxers and I do the same as I climb into bed quickly. Embarrassed about how my lips still tingle or how my body feels extremely warm from that quick kiss. "Goodnight, Bray."

"Goodnight Adam."

I close my eyes and try my hardest to forget about it, but I cannot get it out of my head. I hear a sniffle and then a gasp and I turn over and see through the darkness as Adam bites his knuckles to try and keep the sounds from coming out. I grab his hand and yank it from his mouth afraid that he will hurt himself. I am always afraid that something like that could happen. I couldn't bare if something happened to him. "Don't do that Adam, please." I wait for him to yell or slap my hand away, but he surprises me when he intertwines his fingers with mine. He rubs his thumb over my hand, and he brings my arm to wrap around him tightly. Like he is afraid to let me go, like I am of him.

"I miss her so much." He chokes out and I feel my eyes water for him talking about his mother. He rarely talks about her, so I listen attentively and try my hardest to hold in my own emotions. "I can't even remember what she sounds like or looks like without having my dad watch old home movies." Adams body shakes violently, and I hold him that much tighter to me. "I fucking hate them for taking her away from us. I would kill the bastard if he was alive. Why do I have to be related to that sick fuck."

"D-do you remember?" I can't even finish my question, but he knows what I am asking.

"I wish I didn't."

"Adam." I speak softly thinking he doesn't hear me, but he turns around without letting go of my hold and just stares at me. His hand raises up shakily and cups my cheek. "You are the only thing good in my life Bray." I go to protest because he has so many people that love him, but he speaks again. "The only one." We are so close again and I go to move away but his hand snakes around to the back of my head and pushes me closer as his lips descend upon mine again. This time he kisses me with so much desperation that it freaks me out. But I can't stop because I want to feel more of it...of him.

"We shouldn't."

"I know." I say as he kisses me again, but it is more tender than before. Why am I enjoying this so much? I honestly don't want this to stop. When we pull away his eyes glisten and he blinks away the tears.

"Please don't let this come between us." He begs as we pull apart. I shake my head and give a small smile.

"It won't I promise."

Adam kisses my head and wraps his arm around my waist. "Night Bray."

"Night Adam."

I close my eyes as I feel his head rest against my shoulder. If I knew what was to happen in the years to come, I would have stopped it before it ever even begun.

****************

Song: Everything's Gonna... By Bob Marley and the Wailers