Chapter 22

"But a criminal kiss long withstood and fought against, and therefore long yearned after, is beyond this; it is as luscious as forbidden fruit; it is a glowing coal set upon the lips; a fiery brand that burns deep, and changes the blood into molten lead or scalding quicksilver" Teleny 111

Regulus is sitting in his favourite spot in the library. He has a beautiful view over the flower garden – James had roses planted, which remind Regulus of Aquitaine in the nicest way – and the sun is hitting him enough for warmth but not enough to cast an annoying shadow over the page of his book. He is running out of murder mysteries to read, so he turned to the book he always takes up when nothing else feels compelling: The Count of Monte Cristo. He has started it multiple times in several different languages. There are passages he knows by heart, yet he never found the patience to finish it.

'When you compare the sorrows of real life to the pleasures of the imaginary one, you will never want to live again, only to dream forever.' Regulus sighs. "Oh, Monsieur Dumas, you knew what you were talking about," he mumbles to himself.

Pleasures of the imaginary life are plenty. In his imaginary life, James takes him by the hand and leans to him until their cheeks touch before whispering, "Oh, Regulus, how I have loved you from the very first moment."

Given recent events, Regulus is more inclined to believe that his carefully crafted dream world is not as far out of reach as it had seemed. From the way, James insists on spending their evenings alone to the continued emergence of the topic of love. There can't be too many explanations for James to say what he says and do what he does. If a young man dares to hope, he will hope James Potter harbours tender feelings for him and needs not much longer to express his romance in the ways of fairytales. He keeps thinking of the notion of "Tue Love's Kiss" and cannot find the cynicism to call himself silly for it.

Once again, his mind wanders away from Edmond Dantès. As interesting as the plot was, Dumas could never hold Regulus' attention well. Instead, he thinks of James. The kind smile that Regulus wants to have shined on him every day. James, how he says, 'Isn't that exactly what you wanted? The all-consuming, insane love that has absolute power over you?' while walking up the hill to Lioncrest because he remembers and pays attention when Regulus speaks and tells him of silly writing and old pastimes.

The sound of the door in the front room of the library pulls him back to the sorrows of real life.

James peeks his head into the second room as if pulled to him by the power of his mind alone. He smiles when he sees him.

"There you are."

"Here I am. Did you search for me?"

"I would have if you hadn't been in the very first place I assumed you to be." He steps into the room, carrying a large basket covered with a blue cloth. "I have something for you."

"For me?" Regulus asks, frowning at the basket.

"Yes. A present. Sit up."

Regulus does as told. "What for? My birthday just passed."

"I know. Maybe I wish to shower you with gifts every day. Who will stop me?"

"Not me."

James sits next to him, placing the basket between them. "I would have got this to you sooner, but it was not an easy task to find it."

Regulus is genuinely puzzled over what James might have brought him. He carefully pulls the cloth aside. He barely trusts his eyes when he sees what James has hidden there.

Little balls of fur sit inside, looking curiously at their surroundings. An embarrassingly high sound escapes Regulus. They are kittens. Three tiny kittens. Two are of a dark grey or brown. They crouch beside one another, looking around nervously. The third one is of an orange colouring and is more inclined to move and explore than its siblings. He wobbles to the edge of the basket and mewles in a cry for attention.