𝟒𝟏. honour and allegiance

Start from the beginning

"Never thought I'd be grateful to a horse," Gimli muttered.

Elgarain laughed, catching Gyda's gaze with a smile.

"I'm glad you've come back to us, mellon nin," Gyda said.

Taking a hold of the sword at his side, Aragorn held it out for Gyda.

Tears gathered in her eyes. Her fingers ghosted over the pommel, before firmly grabbing the sword. She held it close to her chest, relief clear on her face and the glistening of longing in her eyes were like shining stars in the night. Before anyone could react, Gyda sprung forward and threw her arms around Aragorn's towering frame. "Thank you. Thank you," she murmured.

Elgarain felt herself smile at the sight, grateful that her friend had learned to open herself up and accept closeness to other people in her life. Her eyes flickered to Legolas, who was watching the Elleth with a fond smile on his face. He, too, saw how far she'd come.

A moment passed and Gyda grew rigid before she suddenly sprang backwards, eyes drawn to the floor as her uncharacteristic response caught up to her. She swallowed, before looking up to meet his eyes once more. "Truly. Thank you for returning it to me."

Aragorn placed his right hand against his heart and bowed, perhaps hoping to make Gyda feel more comfortable by using the formal gesture of the Elves.

Gyda dipped her own head in response.

From behind her, Legolas approached with a broad smile, his blue eyes even lighter as if new life had been found in them at the sight of their returned friend. He placed a gentle hand on his shoulder and spoke, "Welcome back, mellon nin."

Gimli stepped forward, a grin on his bearded face that made his eyes wrinkle. "You've taken quite the beating lad."

Though having watched the four of them with a smile on her face, Elgarain felt it fade at the mention of his injuries. "Let me take a look at your injuries."

But Aragorn shook his head. "There are more important matters, anarinya. I have to speak with the King."

Elgarain pursed her lips. By his tone she knew it was serious, but she was also well familiar with his tendency to refuse to take care of himself. Especially before everyone else was taken care of. "All right," she said with a small sigh. "But I'm taking you to the infirmary immediately after."

A smile appeared on his tired face, and he stepped forward to gently place a kiss on her forehead.

She closed her eyes, allowing herself a moment of simply standing there with him before the rest of the world would catch up with them. Then he stepped away and the spell was broken. Though she refused to let go of his hand and together they walked further into the hall where King Théoden and his generals were standing gathered at the table. Their friends followed them inside.

"Lord Aragorn," the king greeted him. "I'm glad to see you alive."

Aragorn nodded his head. "As am I, though I'm afraid I come bearing bad news."

King Théoden stood up straight, as if having to prepare himself for the words spoken next.

"A great host is heading this way. It appears as though all Isengard has emptied."