"Huh? Bored? About what?" I inquired, puzzled by her question, and turned to face her completely.

"I've never replied to you. Don't you think it's time to stop?" She said coldly, crossing her arms in front of her chest.

Everyone in the classroom was discreetly glancing in our direction, shocked that Esme was speaking.

"Do I make you uncomfortable?" I asked, realizing that my constant greetings might be a nuisance.

"Would you stop if I said yes?" Her response was delivered in her characteristic cold tone. I nodded vigorously.

"I only wanted to thank you for your help, but if you find it uncomfortable, I will stop immediately. I truly didn't mean to bother you," I replied sincerely.

In a swift motion, she leaned in closer, stopping right in front of my face, her elbows resting on the desk. My eyes widened as I found myself locked into her icy gray gaze.

"Shouldn't you do the same?" She asked in a low voice, raising one eyebrow, leaving me perplexed. "Shouldn't you also stop being around people who make you uncomfortable, hm?" Her question momentarily rendered me speechless. The events of yesterday flashed before my eyes, and I couldn't help but lower my gaze.

It was challenging to hide my emotions from my mom, but I couldn't bear to see her hurt on my behalf. She was a very emotional person, a crybaby, especially when it came to me.

"People who don't appreciate your worth aren't deserving of your company or trust," her words struck a chord in my heart. I knew she was entirely right. My eyes flickered to Esme in surprise, not because of her words but because of her tone. Even if it was only for a fleeting moment, I still detected a subtle hint of softness in her voice. Her gray eyes were still cold as I looked at her, but they didn't seem as intimidating. Instead, they appeared mysterious, as if there was a storm hidden behind those calm and cold gray orbs.

Just then, the bell rang, signaling the start of class, and students rushed in and hurried to their seats. Esme stopped talking to me and busied herself in her books, leaving me in thoughts. I slowly faced forward as the lessons began, but my mind continued to echo Esme's words and her enigmatic demeanor. It made me view things from a different perspective, and amid many thoughts, one thing became clear.

At that moment, I realized I wanted to be more than just a polite classmate who greeted Esme. More than just someone expressing gratitude for her unintentional kindness. I wanted to be friends with Esme Vasquez and explore the world behind her calm exterior. I wanted to know the real Esme Indira Vasquez...

************

During the lunch break, I decided to check the detention room in search of Sven. As I approached the room, I saw Mrs. Clarke walking out with a file in her hand. I briefly considered turning and walking away, but she had already noticed my presence.

"Oh, Elysia! Can you please help me find Brey Cornell? I need him to pass this file to Sven. Inside, you'll find the class materials and assignments he missed. Child, can you ensure that Sven receives these notes and assignments so he can catch up?" Mrs. Clarke handed the file to me.

Finding Brey Cornell? One of Sven's friends who was typically in the company of Ophelia and her group? No, thank you!

"O-okay, ma'am!" I blurted out otherwise.

'Just say you can't. Are you crazy, Elysia?' I yelled at myself internally yet not a word came out of my mouth.

"Thank you!" Mrs. Clarke tapped my shoulder and continued on her way, leaving me feeling a bit apprehensive.