Sing With Me, Sing For The Year

"We shoul' visit da band firs'. Dey miss 'ou, Rebbor," he nudged me as we walked on the street in no particular direction.

  We don't swing during the day. It might alarm someone, thinking that Spider-Man is running to danger nearby.

  "Definitely," I nod. Not feeling as enthusiastic as I should.

  "I'll ring 'em up," he began a call to Ri.

  I wasn't listening in. I was watching the ground.

  I started to listen to the other conversations as we walked by.

  Maybe it's just me being close to death and all, but... we all just take life for granted don't we?

  Imagine the next step that lady takes is her last. Or that cab steers off the road for some reason and runs down a bunch of us.

  I haven't talked to Dad in months. I hardly watch the news to see him—besides the past week—because it just isn't interesting (and Hobie gets very annoyed by it, which is kinda funny.)

  Just as he was the new thought in my mind, one might say 'speak of the devil' because he put his arm around me.

  "Cheer up, baby. Dis our universe, innit? Da band is buzzin' to see 'ou let's step."

  We walked to the hideout and Cap was first to greet me.

  "Long time no see, huh?" And he pulled me into a hug.

  "Thanks," I shrugged him off after about a second. "No pity party, please," I whispered, hoping it didn't come off rude.

  "Pity party?" Cap looked at Hobie who was sitting on the couch.

  "I haven't told dem, bird."

  "Oh. It's just been a while away from you all that's a—."

  "Girl, you disappeared," Ri came from her corner.

  "Where's Rob?" I asked, hoping he'd probably be less soft right now. I need someone to be strong with me. Or for me. Whatever.

  "He's still on the way. You know him."

  "I do," I laugh. My mind jumps to 'I'm gonna miss these guys' but then I laugh when it says 'I'll be dead, I won't feel a thing.'

  Hobie shouts my name.

  I snap my head to him. 'Cause huh?

  "Come," he says.

  I do.

  I sit next to him. His arm is around me yet again. There's something that I want to tell him. But I don't want him to think I'm saying it for the wrong reason—or rushing to say it, whether or not he will... reciprocate. Anyways.

  "What's up?" I ask.

  "Dat look ain't good," he whispers. "Our universe," he reassures.

  I smile, not where he can see.

  But he wants to, so he lifts my face to his.

  "Oh, c'mon! Not here! We just got here!" ROB!

  "Rob!" I laugh, turning.

  "You! Where the hell ya been?"

Then the whole band was here. And now I felt I did need to answer the question.

Hobie very slightly gave a comforting rub to my shoulder.

"No press. Dey don' got'a kno'," Hobie.

I took a deep breath. "Maybe they should know."

As I was looking at Hobie I noticed something. Before, as in before the 'two months', he had a certain fear in his eyes when he was leaving. I thought it was because he thought he might die.

  But seeing him fight that thing (I won't try to imagine it again), I really see how this 'chance of death' isn't new to him.

  So, it leaves me in question. What happened in the two months that gave him such peace of mind?

  He was devastated to find out that I'd seen it all. But he's so unimaginably... calm.

  Maybe he's just that cool, but maybe not.

  So, we told the band all that happened. I told them I wanted to see my dad... just in case although it's dangerous.

After an hour it was settled. I would break in at night (tomorrow), the band outside ready for escape.

All so that Dad can't do anything stupid. I just want to say a few things. That's all.

The rest of the day was spent practicing and catching up.

Ri's got more upgrades to her suit. Rob's got more tats, and Cap...

But Hobie. Hobie is hiding something from me. I don't know what or why, but I need to confront him.

Smut next chap girlies bc ily. Thinking Ab writing a bat n cat fanfic 👀