Nerd of my Dreams chapter 9

Jenna

Sitting next to Gregg, I pressed a bag of ice against his eye.

“Would you two mind explaining what happened to me now?” the school’s nurse, Miss Annette was concerned from the moment she saw Gregg’s black eye.

“Nothing too bad. It’s fine.” Gregg didn’t budge. My eyes scanned over his face looking at the red bruises. “Jenna do you know anything about this?” she asked me.

“I know as much as you do ma’am.”

Miss Annette looked at Gregg as if waiting for him to cave. When he gave her a blank look back, she turned and went out front to the other part of the Nurse’s office where her desk was located.

“Gregg you’re such a liar. You’re not fine! You look seriously hurt. Why won’t you just tell me what happened?”

“Because it’s not a big deal Jen.”

“Uh, you’re hurt, so it is a big deal to me.”

“Well, it shouldn’t be.”

“Gregg really? We talked about this in the bathroom. You are important to me and I don’t want to see you hurt either physically or emotionally. And right now, you’re physically hurt and as your…” What is the word to describe a girl who isn’t officially someone’s girlfriend but pretty much is? “Lady friend,” Gregg laughed shortly at my choice of words. “I really would like to know who did this to you and why. Or do you want me to give you another black eye?”

“Promise me you want freak out alright?” I raised my eyebrows. Did he really think that I wouldn’t- even if I promised, freak out after I found out? For the sake of getting information out of him, I nodded in agreement. “It was some of Chris’s friends.”

I gasped in shock. “The guys that beat you up before are in juvie and are suspended!”

“Chris is popular he has more friends than the guys that helped him beat me up. You should know that considering you used to go out with him.”

“When did they hurt you this morning?”

“The first time was when I was walking up to the front entrance of school. They grabbed me and started roughing me up and the second time was on my way to your locker.”

“Twice? They beat you up twice in one morning? Why did they do that? Did they say something before they hit you or what?” I’m sure guys don’t randomly go around beating other guys up for no reason. There must have been a reason.

“They said some stuff about me getting Chris and the rest of their friends in trouble and how they hated me and would make my life a living hell.”

“The guys beat you up because of Chris? That seems petty to me.”

“Well, they did and it is,” he looked down at his lap.

“Would you by any chance happen to know their names?” he scoffed and looked up to meet my eyes.

“The last thing I need right now in this school is for a girl to fight my battles.”

“What they did was messed up and someone should go say something about it.”

“That person shouldn’t be you.”

“If you’re not going to do it then I will.”

“Jenna,” He took a hold of my wrists, and held them between us. “I don’t want to get you into this. I’m a big boy, I’ll be great by tomorrow and it will be like this thing never happened.”

“Nope, if you don’t want me to do anything then you need to do it yourself. If you don’t then I’ll have no choice but to yell at those guys.”

“When should I do it?” After me staring intently at him , he finally cracked and absorbed what I said.

“The next time one of them says something to you, say something back. Defend yourself. Don’t let them walk all over you. Show them that you’re not going to sit back and take their crap anymore.”

“What if they decide to hit me? What would I do then?”

“Kick their butts.”

“Jenna, you know that I can’t fight.”

“There’s a fighter inside all of us. You need to find yours.”

As you can see, it's short. Sorry. There wasn't much i could do with this chapter.