6. Being a Mother First..

Zahara

I looked up at the clock that read three-am and glanced down at Zari's tear stained cheeks. She snored lightly with one hand clutching onto my shirt and the other over her ear. I rocked her side to side while staring at the television screen that has been playing nothing but commercials. The emergency room is one place I honestly hate to be but my baby doesn't feel good so here I am.

She poked her lip out and started tugging on her ear before opening her eyes. "Mama"

"I know it hurts, but mommy's gonna make sure you feel better"

I brushed her hair out of her face and kissed her cheek, my poor baby. I hate not being able to take away the pain instantly, I've prayed over her while we've been waiting. Right now that's all I can do but seeing her cry makes me wanna cry. I moved her hand from her ear and held her hand in mine. She yawned and looked up at me and I smiled.. it was the first thing I thought to do. And surprisingly through her teary eyes she smiled back showing her four little teeth.

"Zari'ana?"

I sighed in relief when the nurse came out, it feels like I've been sitting here for hours. When in reality it's been maybe thirty minutes if that. But when your child doesn't feel well the wait seems like forever. I picked up my bag and stood up before following the nurse. When we got back into the room the lady checked her vitals and took her temperature. I was actually surprised and a little scared when she told me her temp was a hundred and five.

The nurse handed me a little gown to put her in while we waited on the doctor. She wasn't exactly happy about that either but I bought her favorite thing right now, cookies. I dug into my bag and handed her two animal cookies and she stopped crying. While I took her clothes off she shoved the cookies in my face so I could see them. I nodded and put the gown on her and tied it in the back.

"You have cookies"

She put on towards her mouth and then held her hand up so I could eat some. That's one thing about her, she loves to share everything she has. It could be her favorite thing and she'll try to make me or my dad eat whatever it is with her. I took a tiny bit and exaggerated how good it was to make her laugh. Anything to keep my babies mind off not feeling good..

:

I laid back on my bed and instantly a foot found it's way on my face, I swear this child lays all over me. I wake up with feet in my back, arms in my face or her entire body laying on my legs. That's when I do allow her to lay in my bed which is normally when she doesn't feel good. I won't complain because she's finally getting some well needed rest. We spent about three hours in the emergency room just for them to tell me she had an ear infection. They gave her a prescription amoxicillin and we were on our way.

I gave her the medicine and she threw it up, I'll wait until her next dosage to see if she'll be able to stomach it. She wouldn't eat either which isn't surprising so Lucas bought her some chocolate pediasure. And she loved that, took it with no problem at all. I moved her foot and sat up, I'll catch up on sleep later. My main focus right now is keeping and eye on her and that temperature of hers.

Lucas walked in my room with a bear for Zari, he's been such a huge help. He bought her all kinds of goodies when he went to the store to buy her pediasure. Popsicles to keep her hydrated, soup incase she decides she wants to eat, a bear to keep her company and the brightest balloon that just screamed happiness. Something her father should be doing..

"I thought she'd like this along with the balloon, it's from Liam he picked it out. Mainly because he wanted it.. but you know, now they have matching bears"

"Yeah she's definitely gonna love that. Thanks Lucas"

"No problem at all, that's my niece it's the least I can do. Need anything else?"