Chapter 4 | A New Beginning

As soon as Owl's night watch had ended she'd immediately gone and crawled into the bed she and Falcon shared, sure, it might've been weird to anyone else but with the world in its current predicament, Owl hated being apart from him too long. He was all she had left after all, the one thing that she couldn't replace if she'd lost him and she refused to lose him she made a promise to him a long time ago, and she wouldn't break it even if the world itself tried to separate them.

By morning Falcon had smothered her in a tight hug and only Canary's excited knocking got him to finally release her from his hugs, not that she minded, he was the sun with the warmth he gave off.

No one had a change of clothes, only a pair of clothes for warmer weather which they wouldn't be able to use for at least another three months so Owl remained in her comfortable long-sleeved sweater-like shirt and sweatpants and wrapped her jacket around her shoulders once again. Falcon was similarly dressed, he wore a long-sleeved sweater-like shirt with sweatpants and his jacket, although he's sleeves stopped over his elbow due to an incident from a month before in which he'd had to use his sleeves as bandages for Peafowl after she cut her arm on the glass as she ran from the Sprintstalk pack.

Falcon had immediately gone over to Eagle as soon as he spotted him sitting with Terrorem on an armchair he'd pulled towards the window and dragged him to their makeshift infirmary to check on the bite. Owl had no doubt it had gotten better with Falcon's help, after all, he wasn't their medic for no reason. He'd been treating them from the start and they'd all been bitten at least once and he'd developed the best ways he could to treat the bites, if he couldn't help Eagle heal Owl would eat her boot.

While Falcon helped Eagle, Owl instead sat at the table they had eaten at the night before and laid out her map she needed to update the map, on the way back she had noticed some zombies that were straying from their territories which meant one thing, they were getting hungry and now the Flock would need to be more careful. ̶(̶I̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶k̶e̶p̶t̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶-̶)̶ She pushed the thought out of her mind, they couldn't move the apartments were the only area relatively safe, not to mention it was situated in neutral territory and surrounded by zombie packs that kept the adults of the other gangs in the city away, after all, they didn't seem to have an immunity, not like the Flock did anyway. Owl let her head fall onto the table with a loud Thump. She could hear the footsteps of Buzzard walking into the living room before stopping, presumably seeing Owl with her head lying on top of her map.

"You alright?" He asked her, his voice full of unusual worry.

"No. Z's are expanding towards us again and at this rate, we'll have to move but this is the safest area in the city for a group our size meaning we'd have to leave the city but I don't want to uproot Canary again because she doesn't deserve to continuously move around. And-" Owl's breaths were coming out in gasps and her head felt like it had been ducked water, everything was fuzzy and she couldn't remember where she was or-

It was barely a moment later that Falcon burst into the room and wrapped her in his arms, whispering sweet nothings in her ear while playing with her hair, gradually calming her down enough to get her to settle her body in between his legs so he could braid her hair. Despite Owl's choppy haircut a small bit at the back that she was unable to reach properly was fairly long which Falcon enjoyed braiding whenever Owl freaked out. Owl could hear him, almost distantly, ordering people around, but she couldn't focus on what he was saying, she could barely focus on the feeling of his fingers delicately making a small braid in her hair.

* * *

When Owl could finally focus again she saw Peafowl placing two bowls on a stool normally kept in a bathroom for children. Peafowl's blue eyes were wide with worry that was very uncharacteristically aimed at Owl.