Reflexes

[Atsumu's POV]

That morning I had awoken to the feeling of my head pounding like never before and the slight smell of alcohol still clinging to me. I groaned out in slight discomfort from my current state and rolled out of bed before heading to the bathroom to do my routine. My memory was still foggy, but Sakusa's face instantly came to mind and I felt myself getting nervous all over again. It wasn't exactly that I was scared of him or anything, but his presence was just a bit overbearing and stern. It made me wonder once again how someone like him even had friends, to begin with. Especially friends like Bokuto and Kuroo who seemed a bit too hyper and intense for him.

"Tsumu, breakfast is ready." I jumped at the sound of Samu coming into my room and turned to glare at him.

"Would it bother ya to knock!?!" Samu looked at me with a bored expression before walking over to me and smacking the side of my already-pounding head.

"Is that how you treat the person cooking for you," he yelled at me before tossing a folded-up paper onto my bathroom counter. I looked at him in confusion.

"I found it in your sweater's side pocket before putting it in the wash. I'm assuming your little friend Sakusa left it there last night."

Right after he said that I realized that I never told him that and Sakusa were working together now and I tried to say something about it. He stopped me however and told me we would talk about it later before telling me to hurry up. He then proceeded to leave me all alone before I unfolded the paper to read what was on it. That's when I realized that it was Sakusa's schedule for me along with his address and personal contact information. 'That's why he touched my side' I said to myself before putting the paper on my nightstand and heading out to eat with Samu.

Samu seemed to be too preoccupied with cooking, so I sat down and watched him before finally noticing that he had a stern look on his face. I knew it was because I hadn't told him anything and most likely Rin had told him before I could. I was too into my thoughts to even notice Samu placing the plates on the table and sitting.

"So you wanna explain to me why you decided to hide signing a contract with Sakusa from me?"

There was a glare evident on his face and instantly I knew that I fucked up. "Well, I just didn't want you to worry, Samu. I really wanted to try something new and-"

"But you know you can't so why are you pushing it!?!" Samu yelled out. I flinched at his reaction and looked down at my plate with tears brimming in the corner of my eyes.

"Is that how you think of me, Samu?" I said with a weak voice. Samu had never talked to me in that way, and even if it was a joke, it wasn't funny.

"Wait, I didn't mean it like that. I'm sorry I just- I worry Tsumu and I'm scared that you might go too far and hurt yourself."

I looked up at him finally and noticed the expression on his face. It was full of worry and those eyes only wavered as he sighed and put his head in his hands. The only time I've ever seen him like that was a couple of years back, and that was when I told him that I wasn't going to play volleyball if he didn't join me. I knew he felt all guilty about it, but genuinely felt as if maybe it wasn't worth it no matter how much I wanted it.

"Samu, please just let me prove to you that I can do this. I promise you that I will work hard and beat everyone," I said with a smile on my face. This seemed to reassure Samu as he smiled back.

After Samu had left though, I paced around my room with the paper I had from earlier. The address listed on it was directing me to an apartment building and not a studio. It must be Sakusa's place which made me even more nervous at the thought of being with him alone. Sure, I could always just cancel and say I don't feel comfortable being in his home alone with him, but then it would just look weird. I shook my head at myself and sighed before flopping down and holding the paper above my head. The date he had set to meet up was today at 5 pm which only made me slightly worried. Though, I couldn't think any further as my phone began to ring in my pocket. Looking at the contact, I could see that it was Tendo calling the group chat. I ended up joining and the first thing that I heard shocked me a bit too much.