Chapter 14: The Journal

As Zach was finishing hunting, he was deep in thought about the small conversation he had with Obi.

"She doesn't seem terrible," he thought, "But she always looks like something's bothering her..."

"Despicable..."

"Sigh... even here I can't escape those words..."

Once Zach was finally done, he headed inside the mountain. By now Zach had almost memorized the tunnels and passages. He knew where to go and where not to go. He also got the Hang of the stairs. It was to the point that he only used the compass when someone was calling him.

The compass started glowing again. Zach pulled it out to see it glow red, and point to the fire symbol.

Brann...

"Why...?" Zach trailed, "After what happened yesterday. He still wants me to go in his cavern?"

Though reluctant, Zach followed the rules and went down to Brann's cavern. Grabbing a Stick along the way.

Once down there Zach held the stick up high, looking around.

"Where are you?" he mumbled quietly.

"OINK!"

"AAAAHHH!!!" he screamed.

It was Bucky.

Zach looked around again, up, down, and everywhere. To make sure he wasn't around.

"Wh-where is he?!" he trembled

Bucky sat down and pointed at a cliff. Zach turned, and on the nest was Brann, sound asleep.

"SNORE!!!"

"Oh Thank goodness," he sighed, "But then, who...?"

He looked down at Bucky who was just looking at him, wagging his tail.

"Did you call me?"

Bucky nodded.

"Uhm... what did you need?"

He pointed his little snout to one of the fruits that were on the trees. They were on some red vines, the fruit itself being a bright yellow.

Zack put the stick down and walked over to the trees to get the berries.

"Is that it?" Zach asked.

Bucky nodded while he ate.

Zach decided to get out of there before Brann woke up. He walked back towards the staircase but tripped on the stick he brought, and tripped against a rock on the ground.

"OOF!!!"

Zach fell flat on the ground. The compass fell out of his pocket, towards the cliff with lava.

"NO!" Zach whispered-yelled as the compass fell down.

Zach carefully peaked over the edge of the cliff, heart pounding rapidly. The compass landed on some rocks next to the lava pool.

"Oh thank goodness..." he sighed in relief. Zach knew he had to go down there to get it, he looked back at Brann to make sure he was still sleeping.

"SNORE!!!" Was all that came out of him.

Sure enough, he was.

"Alright Zach," he thought to himself, "All you have to do. Is go down there, avoid falling in the lava, get the compass, get back up, avoid falling in the lava AGAIN, and get out before Brann wakes up! Everyone's happy!"

Zach walked towards the stone wall, and stairs started to pop out from the side. He took the first step, then another, then another. The lava boiled and zizzled below. Zach didn't look down and just kept his eye on the stone wall and hugged the wall.