Beneath the mask

Tejas POV

What was I doing? I had hated when Divjyot left for work today without the red and white bangles on her wrists. She never wore make up, more than a 'nude' shade of lipstick. Today, without those bangles she looked... unmarried?

I hated myself even more for being so unreasonable. I wouldn't call this behavior protective, since the whole kingdom knew who she was but all I wanted was for her and for everybody around her to remember that she was my wife. She was supposed to hold her head high and be respected.

She had earned more than enough respect because of her hardwork and dedication, after which she had reached this position. She didn't need my name. So, this envy bottoming out my heart didn't make sense. This was not what I had wanted in this relationship. I couldn't fathom how this would effect me in the long term.

"If you want that." I had said and walked out. It was a bold move and she could be getting the last room cleaned out right now as I made my way down the stairs.

"Tejas." My father called out as I walked towards him. He gestured me to follow as we walked towards the main study room on the ground floor.

His golden chair frame with brown leather cushions, sat behind a huge dark teakwood desk and the shelves lined with books related to the history of the kingdom on one side and the work files on the other. A small door on the far right corner led to the library adjoining this room.

"Did Raavi update you?" he asks, as I nodded explaining the details.

"The new revolver is having issues. The weight for the manufactured product in this shipment is more than we promised." I say, as he asks me to take a seat and opens a file.

"This feels like the result of Laala's another traitorous move. We need to deal with him."

"Already done and the issue of the weight is looked into. The problem on hand is- Time. It's a large shipment and we have very less to make the changes required." I say, as he didn't look pleased. His frown had deepened and the ends of his eyes had creased under his thin rimmed spectacles. "What's wrong dad?"

"I think I told you to lay low." He says, as my head bowed down. I don't argue with him. When he's saying something, I let him complete first. "You were in prison like 40 days ago and you're out killing people?" he says, as I gulp on my saliva. "Does Divjyot know?"

"No, she doesn't know... about any of this." I say, answering the asked question.

"Tejas, take a step back. I'll tell Alex and Raavi to handle this side of the business for the time being." He says, as I look up.

"And I should do what?" I ask, my patience on the edge. I left my service to be here and this man gave me purpose. I can't sit and deal with files all day.

"Tejas, you're not doing anything illegal until your wife finds out the extent of our business. You're the wise one in this house so I shouldn't have to tell you this."

"But mom doesn't know it either." I say arguing, for what might be the second time since I grow up to be aware of my actions.

"Your mother is not a police officer while your wife is. I would have stopped this matchmaking the day Daman told me that she is considering an SSP but you had already said 'Yes'. I couldn't interfere and make it suspicious but you need to be very careful. Stay on the good side, until you make a space in her heart and then slowly let her in on the secret."

"This is impossible dad. It's not a small secret. No matter I take up her whole damn heart and still the day she finds it out she will leave me. I can just hide it, like you did. It's not hard."