Celebrations and sorrow

Tejas POV

"Biryani and Raita, Shahi paneer, Malayi Kofta, Pulao and Tandoori Naan, Kheer and Malpua, Baklava surely from the Turkish guest chef we have once a month and... is that a bottle of champagne?" Raavi spoke, checking out the table arrangement as Divjyot ordered the staff around.

"What's the occasion?" Tejpartap spoke, as mom and dad walked in with Divjyot's mom, Samayra aunty and Ambar uncle shifting from the living room to the dining hall.

"Mom, mom-in-law, dad, Uncle, aunty... and you both idiots that I call siblings..." I say drawing attention as everyone got seated and I held out my hand for my wife to take. I looked at her, if she wanted to speak but she just nodded giving me a green light. I took the bottle of champagne in my other hand and popped it open announcing the good news as starters are brought in as a final surprise. "We're... pregnant."

The next few minutes were filled with congratulations, hugs, cheers and excitement as we finally sat down on the table to enjoy our meal.

"I also had a request." I say looking up at Ambar uncle as he shakes his head.

"After the Lata prank you just pulled? It's denied." He says, without even listening to me as Samayra aunty shook her head.

"What is it child?" she asks, as I smile, looking at my wife. She looked at me confused, at what I had wanted.

"Since our honeymoon ended early due to the... circumstances... If... I mean... If she wants... Divjyot could get a leave for a week and we can just get away to ourselves." I say looking at Divjyot, knowing I should have asked her first as she looked at me biting her lower lip. I knew control would turn her on even more than permission.  "I mean I know she remains busy and the workload... Like it's okay if..."

"Divjyot, I'll talk to Dhruv." He says, not even looking at me and just addressing his friend's daughter-in-law while Divjyot just nods with a smile.

"Thank you so much sir."

"Hush, It's uncle for you when at home." He scolds as we all laugh.

"Daman, my niece Natasha is shifting her base here soon. Like with Ambar's transfer hanging in the air if you could just keep an eye out for her."

"Natasha? Uncle Avinash's daughter? When did she return from Germany?" Raavi interrupted as I cleared my throat and Tejpartap didn't seem to notice her name slip by, lost in his thoughts.

"She returned last month and got a job here in forensics."

"Ofcourse Sammy. She can live in the palace if she wants. She's Sabina's daughter. She's family."

"No, she rented her own apartment. She's like Sabina in that way. Fond of her independence. " Ambar says, as conversation drifts away to how Sabina aunty is doing these days.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We were returning from dinner, as Raavi walked with Divjyot in front of us.

"What's bothering you? You're in the palace for 2nd consecutive night. Everything okay?" I asked as Tejpartap nods as my ears heard a part of my sister and wives conversation.

"Alex will be back tomorrow, if you could please take the kids again for the night. I'll have them today but I'm meeting Alex after soo long. After the..."

"No, we can't" I spoke before Divjyot could. "Firstly, we did all that you want to do, with your kids in the very next room." I say as Divjyot stares at me with her eyes ready to pop out of socket in a mixture of anger and embarrassment. "Secondly, Divjyot just got a leave sanctioned and we'll be out of station for one week."