A dream come true

The G-wagon stopped infront of the white majestic palace, as the car door opens. I fist the lehenga in my sweaty hands trying to remind myself to breath every passing moment. I look at the crowd of people gathered for my welcome, curving my lips upwards. I can do this, I tell myself and let go of my dress accumulating the courage to step down.

I put my Jimmy Cho heels clad feet down as my designer bridal lehenga sweeps the floor. I set my tikka right on my forehead, covered with the sheeshpatti and heavy passa on left side with my red and white bangles in my hands making a noise. I felt... heavy.

My wedding dress, shoes, jewelry and make up combined to cost way more than my entire fortune and definitely added more than 12 kilos to my weight in total. More than the weight of my total wardrobe, two years ago.

I felt scared... and like a traitor amongst all this bling.

It was yesterday that I was this five year old girl, washing utensils part time at the tea shop next to ours as my father ran the little grocery store. He had passed away when I was seven and my mother had taken up his occupation.

I remember the small bathroom and kitchen behind that shop with a common area between them that we used as our bedroom. living room and store. My mother had taken a loan on that house so I could go to college.

I remembered working as a typist at a café after college, so I could afford the study material for UPSC.

"This way, princess." A woman said, as I came out of my past to stand in my present as the royal palace was decorated to welcome their eldest daughter-in-law.

Me.

The red lehenga fell below my feet as I accidentally stepped on it and was ready to stumble when the hand by my side gripped my shoulder holding me steady. I looked up to see the man that was my future.

My husband walked to stand by my side as his mother stepped to the front. I bowed my head, and went to touch her feet with his son as she cupped my face and kissed my forehead.

"God bless you, dear." She says as we step on a wooden platform and she picks up a copper ware filled with water as the ladies around us sang the local folk songs. She extended the pot towards my mouth for a welcome ritual as we hear the police sirens loud and clear.

A blush slightly taints my cheeks as I look guilty. "Excuse me." I say, and reach for my purse to take out my phone hoping to see at least 50 missed calls.

Yes, my wedding day isn't off work if need be.

I am Divjyot Sethi, IPS officer posted as SSP in the district where the royal family resides, Kashyan. Their province covers more than one state under the democratic country but somehow luck wanted me right close to the palace.

I unlock my phone and... zero missed calls.

They are not here for me?

"We have an arrest warrant for Mr. Tejasveer singh Ghuman for the murder of Kaveri Sana" the police officer says, as the pot falls from my mother-in-law's hands and on the floor spilling all over the lehenga.

The man beside went stiff as I react out of shock.

"There must be a mistake." I say, stepping forward as the officer takes a moment in recognizing me among the loads of jewelry and a nose ring covering half my face.

"Good evening, Mam." The officers salute me as I take the warrant from their hands and read it. "It was no high profile case, so we didn't need higher authorities of your level to intervene for the..." he begins to explain as I look up at him with a frown and he shuts up.