☬ The Fiancée ☬

It was a month since they had made it official: Loki was going to marry another woman. 

Your heart still ached, even though it cried and let its feelings out every night since you found out, but it still couldn't heal the wound that your love for the god had left.

You always thought you would have all the time in the world to confess your feelings to him, to take your friendship to the next level, but now you realised it was too late. Your only consolation was that the engagement had not been entirely his choice, the king and queen had arranged it and there was nothing either of you could do about it. It was a possibility you knew existed, but you never imagined it would actually happen.

That night, amidst sighs of grief and loneliness, you wandered around the castle, waiting for Thor to pick you up and take you to drink with his friends. He was your best friend, after all. So far, you had refused his help because it involved drinking and a talk you didn't want to have, but by this point, you had tried everything and were willing to listen to suggestions. A night of forgetfulness couldn't hurt.

However, just as you were beginning to lose yourself in the beauty of the moon and stars, you heard footsteps behind you and noticed the reason for your unhappiness; Loki's fiancée.

"Oh, good evening, (Y/N)," she curtsied. "What a nice surprise to find you here. You were looking for Loki?"

There she was, feigning innocence. As if she wasn't the reason why your beloved, platonic love had strayed so far from you lately. Every time she was near, he would run from your presence and seek to hide.

"My lady," you sighed, "No. I await Thor."

The girl gave you a mischievous smile. Thor had not been forced to marry, it was rumoured, because his heart belonged to another woman. Of course, you knew that was Jane, but apparently, Loki's betrothed thought they meant you.

"Lucky you," she laughed falsely, "Don't tell me he's the one who gave you that ring."

You looked at your finger. Everyone knew, even the palace maids knew, except her, of course. That ring was your only inheritance from your mother, who died giving birth to you.

"No, of course not," you whispered, blushing.

"Oh, I understand, you don't want to go public yet."

"It's not that, it's just that-"

"Oh, sweetie. Say no more, I know what you're thinking. Of course, Thor would never give you such a small diamond. You're just using that decoy so no one will see the real thing and be envious. A little tip: I used to do the same, but now I can show my diamond without any fear, it's just a token of Loki's love for me," she showed you the ring on her finger, altering your breathing and causing you a mix of emotions where you didn't know whether to cry or punch her in the face; you'd probably end up doing both.

"Thor and I are not together," you clarified. "The ring is mine."

The fiancée looked at you shamelessly, judging you from head to toe.

"A woman who wears a ring she bought herself?" she laughed. "What a sad thing to say. Darling, you're not that ugly. You'll find someone someday."

"I know I will," you were tired of keeping up appearances. "If you could get someone like Loki with that nose job and your shallow personality, I can get someone who values me for the woman I am."

"You don't need to be jealous, my dear," you didn't manage to upset her one bit. In fact, for some reason, you had fed her ego. "It's no secret to anyone that you are Loki's little pet, the silly girl who follows him everywhere. It's no one's fault but your own to think that someone like him, a prince with manners and unrivalled power, could be interested in a plain, boring girl like you."