☬ Forced? Marriage ☬

It was bad enough that Thor had taken away his right to the throne, but now he was being forced to get engaged? Loki was upset, hesitant. He couldn't believe the brazen decision his father had just made for him. He didn't want to tie himself to anyone, much less a woman he barely knew, but the decision was made and he would have to comply with his father's whims to achieve the alliance he wanted so badly.

You and Loki met when you were very young when you were misfit kids who would get away from the rest of your friends so you could read a book in the quiet of the field. You liked to sit under the shade of the same tree, and though you never spoke much, you had a silent connection that stayed with you, right into your teens.

Naturally, you had forgotten about each other, and dated other people both romantically and as friends. Now, as adults, you would find your way back to each other, but it wasn't something that gave you peace of mind or excitement; all you wanted was to be free of the situation you had been committed to.

That night, to make everything official, the kings of Asgard hosted a family dinner, where you and Loki would see each other for the first time in years. He had spent the entire evening making himself presentable on his mother's orders and the insistence of the servants, who had been instructed to pester him until he relented. And you, of course, had to do the same. 

You knew what princes were like, and while no one talked much about Loki, you had heard that Thor was presumably a womaniser who had been with the most beautiful women in the kingdom. While your marriage was not going to be entirely real, you wanted to be given your place and the respect you deserved.

The dinner was set in a great hall of the castle, lit by golden chandeliers and decorated with lavish floral arrangements. Dignitaries from both kingdoms were present, and the atmosphere was filled with anticipation.

Thor, who had been informed of the situation, had tried to talk to Loki about the unusual union, but his brother was in no mood for jokes. Like you, Loki was determined to present himself with dignity, although for different reasons.

Finally, it was time for dinner. You found yourself at one of the tables, surrounded by nobles from your kingdom, while Loki was at the head table with his parents. When he looked at you, Loki noticed that you had changed since the last time he saw you. Though you had always been beautiful, you now radiated a confidence that surprised him.

As dinner progressed, Thor tried to break the ice between the two of you. He approached you and began a friendly conversation, hoping it would at least ease the tension. You received him with a smile and were polite, but made it clear that your engagement to Loki was not what you had planned for your life.

Loki, on the other hand, made an effort to be polite, but his coldness and curt replies indicated that he was unwilling to accept the situation without a fight. During dinner, your gaze met Loki's several times, and though you were both determined not to appear vulnerable, there was a spark of recognition in your eyes.

Of all those present, Loki did not seem to be the worst choice for you. Thor and his friends were rather immature and goofy; you couldn't stand them and you could see that, although Loki occasionally laughed, he was not entirely comfortable, even in his own realm. Besides, he too had grown more attractive over the years and was a handsome man with sparkling eyes that could take your breath away.

At all times, however, you had to keep in mind that he was the god of mischief, and that did not let your hopes rise at all. You by hand were the kind of woman who liked to be with several men at once, but never during a relationship, you liked to keep things casual. It was also no secret that you would tell the occasional lie, but nothing that would give you the reputation of being an expert at deceiving people. You felt that, no matter how things turned out, you could never trust him.