chapter 14

Y/n and Ruby head to a small local pizza shop. The two walk inside. The cashier behind the counter looked nervous.

Ruby: Relax, Omar. This isn't a business call.  And I just figured I'd go to my favorite little pizza place for a date.

Omar begins to sweat and he tries to look calm.

Omar: Of course miss Rose. What would you like to order?

Ruby: Just one pie between us should be enough. What do you think, darling? *looks at Y/n with a mischievous smile*

Y/n looks at her with an unfazed look.

Y/n: That is fine by me.

Omar: We will bring it to you as fast as possible.

Ruby leads Y/n into the dining room and they sit at a table. 

Y/n: Nice place. 

Ruby: It is. When I found this place a gang was using it as a protection racket. I was the cheaper option, and I killed the other gang anyway. 

Y/n: I see.

Ruby: But anyway. I'm more interested in learning about you.

Y/n: Anything specific?

Ruby: Yes. Tell me, why do you fight?

Y/n: What do you mean?

Ruby: Why devote yourself to others? At the end of the day they only care about you as long as you provide for them. They'll throw you away as soon as you stop giving them what they want. 

Y/n: Because I am not really a selfish person. I have no reason to put my own wants above others. And I don't care about my wealth or my status. 

Ruby nods as she rests her elbows on the table and puts her head in her hands.

Ruby: At least you didn't try to give me a speech on morality. That's the funny thing about it really, everyone wants to preach about it but never follow it.

Ruby chuckles as the pizza is brought to the table.

Ruby: People always make a exception. Just like what you are doing, right now. Out on a date with your new criminal girlfriend, Mr hero. Isn't that funny?

Y/n: I suppose it is. But you want to know what I think?

Ruby: Yeah.

Y/n: I think that you didn't make your own choices.

Ruby: Oh? How so?

Y/n: I think you got picked up and taken under somebody's wing. You just want to keep the family happy.

Ruby: Hmm. Very observant of you. But still wrong for the most part. I do what I do because I want to. Not because anyone told me to.

Y/n: But what if they know that? Maybe that is what they count on.

Ruby took a slice of pizza and bites into it.

Ruby: Maybe. That'd be real smart of them.

Y/n: Sounds like Ozma, doesn't it?

Ruby smirks.

Ruby: You know of him?

Y/n: Yes.

Ruby: Then you'll know how absolutely boring he is.

Y/n: Then why work for him?

Ruby: Simple. Because he gets me what I need when I need it.  My turn. Have you run into any more mercenaries hunting you down?

Y/n: Not yet. Though Raven did show up.

Ruby: How did that go?

Y/n: My mother showed up and beat her.

Ruby: Your mom? She must be pretty strong! Both of us were having issues dealing with her.

Y/n: Yeah. My mother was always a badass.

Ruby: I know enough about mine to know that she is a piece of work.  But that's alright. 

Y/n begins to eat as well and the two just sit there and silently eat for a while.

Y/n: Ruby.

Ruby: Hmm?

Y/n: Thanks. For this.

Ruby smiles at him.

Ruby: No problem. My wolf.

Suddenly the door to the shop opens and a few suited men walk in.   Omar  watches as the men walk past the counter and into the dining room.   He goes wide eyed and quickly takes cover.

The suited men walk to Y/n and Ruby. Ruby sighs as she sees them.

Y/n: Friends of yours?

Ruby: No. Listen. Whatever you punks want, it can wait. I'm busy.

Enforcer 1: We'll make this quick. This place belongs to the Carriere family now.

Ruby sighs and takes a bite of pizza.

Y/n: Well. I guess we should have expected this one. 

Ruby: Yeah. Oh well. Battle date it is!

Ruby jumps out of her seat as Y/n quickly gets up and throws a man onto the ground.

Their opponents try to fight back but the battle is extremely one sided. 

It only takes a few seconds for them to win.

Ruby: Wooo! That was fun!

Y/n: Sounds like you might have your hands full here soon.

Ruby: Who cares? I don't! 

Ruby pulls him down and kisses him passionately. He is surprised at first but accepts the kiss.  They part after a few seconds.

Ruby: Well that was a fun first date. Let's do it again sometime.

Y/n: Alright. I think I can handle that. 

Ruby smirks and they walk out of the shop.

Y/n: By the way. How did they make the pizza so fast?

Ruby: That's their little company secret. And their really good so I don't care how.

Y/n nods and they go their separate ways. Y/n feels happy, but he also knows he shouldn't be with Ruby. Not while she still works for evil.