Ch. 51 Final Gift

*Logan

Logan believed that nothing could cause him to suffer the way he suffered when his blade pierced Jeraar's heart. For centuries, the smell of dust and blood in the arena rekindled that pain, that suffering of hurting the only other being he cared about.

Jeraar didn't die instantly, despite the mortal wound that would have killed any other the same instant. Logan hadn't wanted him to suffer. He had planned it to be quick and as painless as possible, forgoing a long show with many wounds, the kind of spectacle the crowds and Duxtori loved for the contests. No. Quick. Clean. Without pain.

But Jeraar reached for his hand.

Logan clasped it.

"You won't leave here empty handed," Jeraar whispered. The light went out in his eyes and he slumped to the sandy ground.

Logan stared at his hand, very much empty for several heartbeats, unable to move or lift his head in triumph and see which of the Duxtori would claim him for his legions.

His hands were empty, except for the bloodied sword that he'd used to kill his twin. For several years, he thought Jeraar meant the victory was what he had won.

Then, on the battlefield, in a fit of rage, the power to call the dark flames rose up in him. That was his gift, his last gift from his brother. If he could take his twin's life, he could wield this destructive power.

He thought it was a gift to kill angels.

Now he understood—it was a gift to save the angel he loved.

His strength was running out, the Tenebrist writhing in his grasp sensed it. The monster fought him like nothing he'd ever faced. Frost burned him like the fires of hell never had.

There was only one chance to save her, but he couldn't fight her and every angelii in Heaven.

"Move, I'm taking her to the Fountain!" he cried. They had to understand. They had to realize this was their only chance, as well.

The Fountain would kill him, he had no doubt. Fuck, a single drop of that water had nearly killed him.

But there was an angel in this monster, hidden deep, and if anything was left of her, the water would bring her back when it destroyed the Tenebrist.

He hadn't known it when he was taken to the dungeon, but his story with Chiara began at the Fountain. While he hung from chains and was tortured, she alone survived the slaughter there. The demons took the Fountain, and dragged her in chains back to the dungeon, where he saw her for the first time.

Indeed. They crossed paths in the dungeon, but their story began at the Fountain.

It made sense to go back—his story would end there, so that hers could go on.

A strange voice escaped the Tenebrist's throat. "No, Logan, no. Not that, Logan, you'll die if you go in the Fountain. Live, Logan, live! Fly for me."

He clutched the Tenebrist tighter. Chiara was in there.

The angels heard his shouts for them to let him pass, he could see in their flight patterns that they hesitated. He was fighting the Tenebrist for them, why should they die fighting it before letting him play his card? On the other hand, they obviously didn't want him in their garden that had just emptied of demons.

And he was losing this battle against one of the worst monsters to be created by Hell. If this failed and she broke free, she would be that closer to Heaven....

Frost formed on his chest again, not melting. His power was nearly tapped, gone. He had limits. He had no choice.

"Forgive me, my love," he whispered.