𝟬𝟭𝟱. everyone else in the room can see it (everyone else but gabriella)

chapter fifteen
everyone else in the room can see it
(everyone else but gabriella)

chapter fifteeneveryone else in the room can see it (everyone else but gabriella)

FLYING WASN'T AS BAD AS Gabriella thought. She got the hang of it pretty quickly. It almost felt like the wings were apart of her. She kept doing frontflips and backflips, to have a little fun.

"Show off, much?" Annabeth teased. Gabriella just grinned.

"Um guys, where's Percy?" Nico asked.

They looked around, and Gabriella finally spotted him plummeting toward a valley full of red rocks below.

"Spread your arms! Keep them extended." Annabeth yelled to him.

Percy struggled at first, but he eventually was able to fly back up. "Yeah!" He yelled, finally joining the rest of the group.

"Land!" Annabeth yelled. "These wings won't last forever."

"How long?" Rachel cried.

"I don't want to find out!" Annabeth answered.

They swooped down toward the Garden of the Gods. Percy did a complete circle around one of the rock spires which freaked out a few of climbers. Then the five of them soared across the valley, over a road, and landed on the terrace of the visitor center. It was late afternoon and the place looked pretty empty. They ripped off their wings as quickly. Annabeth was right; the self-adhesive seals that bound the wings to their backs were melting and shedding bronze feathers. They quickly stuffed the wings in the trash outside the cafeteria.

Gabriella used a tourist binocular camera to try and look to where Daedalus's workshop was, but it vanished. There wasn't any smoke, or broken windows. It was just the side of a hill.

"The workshop moved," Annabeth guessed.
"There's no telling where."

"So what do we do now?" Percy questioned. "How do we get back in the maze?"

Annabeth gazed at the summit of Pikes Peak in the distance. "Maybe we can't. If Daedalus died...he said his life force was tied to the Labyrinth. The whole thing might've been destroyed. Maybe that will stop Luke's invasion."

Gabriella thought about Grover and Tyson. They've been stuck down there for weeks. Even though Daedalus did many horrible things, it still seemed like a terrible way to die.

"No," Nico said. "He isn't dead."

"How are you so sure?" Gabriella asked.

"I know when people die. It's this feeling I get, like a buzzing in my ears."

"What about Tyson and Grover, then?" Percy questioned.

Nico shook his head. "That's harder. They're not humans or half-bloods. They don't have mortal souls."

"We have to get into town," Annabeth decided. "Our chances will be better of finding an entrance to the Labyrinth. We have to make it back to camp before Luke and his army."