Chapter 6: "Hiding in plain sight"

FADING SPOTLIGHT

In a scattered room with lights flickering, Isabella recoiled, trembling as she pushed herself away. "Please, please don't do this," she pleaded, her voice quivering with fear.

Isabella awoke in a panic, her body covered in sweat. The vividness of her dream stayed, reluctant to fade away.

She ran her fingers through her hair, sitting up in bed. "Don't freak out, Bella. It's just a dream," she murmured to herself, stealing a glance at the wall clock in her room.

It read, 7:52 a.m.

Instead of her usual morning stretch, Isabella hopped out of bed and headed straight to the bathroom. After setting aside her nightwear, she slipped into the shower. The water, pleasantly warm, flowed over her body, bringing a refreshing sensation.

Midway through her shower, the sound of footsteps in her room caught her attention. In a rush, she shut off the shower, wrapped herself in a white towel, and cautiously tiptoed toward the door, hiding a pair of scissors behind her back.

Opening the bathroom door, Isabella caught sight of a figure with long blonde hair, rummaging through the bedside drawers. The intruder was clad in a pair of well-worn jeans and a Zara-designed sweater.

Silently, Isabella trailed towards the figure, scissors raised, poised for action. But, just as she prepared to strike, the figure turned around, locking eyes with her.

"Rebecca?" Isabella exclaimed, pulling her in a warm hug.

Rebecca pulled away, teasingly asking, "Were you about to kill me?"

Rebecca appeared genuinely nice, with a charming quality to her looks. Yet, in comparison, Isabella stood out even more.

"Well, maybe I will do it next time, if you change your hair color and sneak into my room without my knowledge," Isabella chuckled.

"My bad, I forgot to mention my earlier flight and the new hair," Rebecca said, loosening up her hair. "It looks good on me, I know, so save it."

Isabella touched her chin thoughtfully. "Did I compliment you and forget, or am I experiencing memory loss?" she teased.

Rebecca playfully shook her shoulder. "Come on, girl."

"By the way, thanks. Your plan worked perfectly." Isabella expressed her gratitude with a hand gesture, forming an 'Okay' sign.

"It's always a pleasure to help you, Miss famous," Rebecca said. "Now, spill the beans on why you were yelling and crying in that trending video."

Isabella rolled her eyes. "I told you the truth yesterday—I could hear voices."

"That's all?" Rebecca questioned. "Is there something I don't know?"

"Of course not, Babe," she said. "I need to get dressed, so hang tight."

"Don't worry, I'm outta here," Rebecca said. "I need some good sleep. I came straight from the airport after landing in the city."

"Aw, that's sweet of you." Isabella exchanged cheek kisses with her.

"See you later," Rebecca bid farewell and made her way out, her steps a bit unsteady.

Isabella stopped her, her brows furrowed. "Hey, what happened to your leg?"

"M-- my leg?" Rebecca stammered, glancing at her leg before turning to Isabella. "Oh, it's nothing. I twisted it at the airport."

"Oh, okay, be careful," Isabella cautioned, and Rebecca left the room.