PROLOGUE

Three years ago, fate knocked on Isabella's door through a single phone call on the last day of her senior year in Canada, where she had spent her teenage years.

"Why did you call me here?" she asked the young guy in a black hoodie standing before her. "Of all places, this is where you want us to talk? An uncompleted building with flickering lights?" She scanned the scattered room.

"Yeah," the guy said. "I want us to be alone."

"You're kidding, right?" Isabella chuckled nervously. "Alone for what?"

The guy moved closer to her, whistling.

"Can you stop this, Chris?" Isabella scoffed, feeling uneasy.

"Why? Is it a sin for me to love you, Bella?" he leaned in to kiss her.

Isabella pushed him away, her heart racing. "You've lost it! Do you even realize what you're saying? You're dating my best friend, Rebecca, for God's sake!" she roared.

"So?" Chris's voice turned menacing as he shoved her to the ground. "You know what? I never loved Rebecca. You're prettier than she will ever be." He slowly unzipped his jeans, moving closer to her on the ground.

Isabella recoiled, trembling as she pushed herself away. "Please, don't do this," she pleaded, her voice quivering with fear.

"You and I both have our families in New York, so why don't we get married and have our own babies, huh?"

"Shut up Chris!!"

"Fine! I will shut up, but you're not getting away from me. Not today." Chris grabbed her legs.

Isabella screamed for help, and the unthinkable happened...

Later in Isabella's car, she spoke over the phone with blood in her hands and tears streaming down her face, "Mom, I've changed my mind. I don't want to stay here anymore. I want to come back home, to New York City. I want to pursue the dream you and Dad have for me."