Chapter 25 - What Could Have Happened to Him?

Start from the beginning

"Hey, what's that for?"

"After all that I had said to you before and done to you; you are still gracious enough to care for me." He says, "and I do not deserve it."

"Probably not, but one argument won't end years of friendship" I smile and he returns it. "I said some terrible things to you too. After all I said to you, you still came to me for help... that means a lot to me Loki"

"Also, I am ashamed for you to see me in this condition..." he says, "but you are very good healer"

"Why don't you tell me what happened, " I say, and he eyes me suspiciously. "Come on Loki,"

"Help me out of the tub and I will tell you everything."

Handing him a towel, I conjure some underwear and pajamas for him. His torso doesn't look like he took any hits there, but his face looks terrible. He has a cut on his lip, and his wrist looks broken. I lead him back to my bed and give him some tea. Grabbing his wrist, I heal it but it does cause him some pain.

"Sorry" I say and move to his face. "That might be sore for a few days"

After healing his cuts and bruises the best that I can, but some marks will left behind. He reaches up and takes my hands in his. Sighing he looks into my eyes, sits back against the head board and then speaks.

"It was Thor."

"What?" I say, "Why would Thor do this to you?"

"Because of our fight." He sighs again "when you did not agree to go with us earlier, he assumed it had something to do with me, so he pulled me aside and demanded I tell him what happened. I told him to stay out of it, and that was when he began to pummel me. He decided that I was hiding something, and that I didn't deserve to have you as a friend, or in my life. He wanted to make me hurt like he thought you were hurt....because of me...he said that you would be better off without me, and I began to believe him."

"Loki, I have seen you fight with Thor and not walk away with a scratch, why was this different for you?"

Loki drops his head and then slowly raises his eyes to look at me.

"When he mentioned you and kept talking about whatever I must have done to hurt you, so then I started to think about what happened. I know it was my fault and all I could do was focus on you, and wanting to apologize to you .... I lost focus and could not fight back. He said that you would be better off without me in your life at all; that if you were to be with a Prince it should be him...and not me. Sometimes I think there is some truth to those words of his."

He continues to hold my hands and carefully rubs his thumbs on my hands. We hold eye contact for a while and do not say anything. Eventually I look away and break the silence.

"Loki, we were both to blame, and I am sorry it got to this point with us. " I say, " just so you know, I never said anything to Thor about our disagreement. He came to ask me to go with everyone tonight, and I say no. He did ask me if you had done anything to upset me and I told him no."

" And Loki, there is no way that I want to be with him..." I say and see Loki breathe a sigh of relief.

He makes a move to kiss me, but I back away.

"Lay down, and rest." I say, "or would you like me to take you back to your rooms?"

He shakes his head with a panic in his eyes.

"No, I .... I do not want Thor to find me..." he says.

"Do you need anything?" I ask him and he pauses for a moment.

"Could I stay here, at least for the night?"

Just then I hear the main door open and my mom calls out to me. Loki looks to me with a panic in his eyes, but thinking quickly, I do the only thing I can.

"Just a moment mom..." I yell.

"She doesn't know I'm here, does she?" Loki panics and I shake my head.

"It will be ok, trust me" I say as I touch the side of his face.

Reaching into my pocket, I pull a small vial out and rub some of the contents on my lips. Moving closer, I kiss Loki, and force his lips to remain on mine.

"What are you ....do-?...." he asks against my lips and then quickly falls asleep.

I lean him back on the pillows and cover him. Running a hand down his face, a tear falls from my cheek.

"Sleep well, my friend."

He mumbles in coherently. I leave the room and find my mom in the sitting room. She begins to tell me about her day, and everything that she and Frigga did. Once she finishes telling me about her night she turns to me and see the blood stains on my shirt.

"And how was your night, is your side bleeding again?" she asks and moves towards me.

I move away from her before I respond.

"No mom, I'm ok, this isn't my blood. It's....um...." I stop

"Mom, can I show you something?" I say, and she nods.

Leading her to my room I show her that Loki is sound asleep on my bed, flat on his back. She can see his bruises and cuts. She moves over and sits next to him on the bed, and touches his forehead.

"Oh my goodness, what happened to him?" she says and I recant the story that Loki told me.

"It does not surprise me. Thor came barreling into the grand hall looking for Loki." She says then turns back to look at him.

"He has had a few rough days lately. Did you give him a draught?" she asks and I nod. "He probably had no chance if Thor kept spewing things about you."

My mom's eyes cloud over briefly and then when they refocus she tells me that she just told Frigga to come here.

"Mom! She can't find him here!" I say. "He's going to get upset, how can I explain Loki in my bed and beaten like this...I just want to take him back to his rooms so he can rest."

My mom puts her hands on the side of my face and forces me to look at her.

"F/n....calm down, it's fine" she says, "she needs to know what Loki told you. And no one would think that you are responsible for this."

"But I am mom! The fight he and I had, if I would not have been so stubborn and just stayed until he..."

Frigga knocks on the door and my mom greets her while I wipe some tears; tears of anger, sadness, frustration and dread.

How am I supposed to explain this to her? Does she blame me for being the reason that Thor did this to her son?