6

THE MORNING SUN cast a warm glow upon Josephine's room, seeping in through the shades as her eyes fluttered open

THE MORNING SUN cast a warm glow upon Josephine's room, seeping in through the shades as her eyes fluttered open. The curtain that acted as the door slid open, revealing the nurse that had been taking care of her. It had been less than a week since the incident. 

Josephine didn't speak much during her time here. She couldn't find the voice. Her dignity, her self-worth; it was all gone just like that. She felt dirty, impure. She had always been a confident girl, but what was left of her now? Was she just going to be pitied upon, looked at like a mere victim? Was that all she were to be?

The crisis raging a war in her mind was far more than she could handle, her conscience's badgering was never-ending. She couldn't even think about seeing her family after getting the fuck out of this place.

"Good morning, Ms. Cross. I have some positive news; you will be going home today." She smiled softly, folding back the covers that had been tucked over Josephine. Helping her to sit up against the pillows comfortably, Josephine felt a sharp pain in the right side of her head.

"Why? I thought I was supposed to get treatment for at least another week?"

"Mr. Shelby has overseen your arrangements. For your recovery, he's arranged for a nurse to provide daily care for you at home. It was quite a thoughtful request, Ms. Josephine." Josephine bit her top lip. "He'll be here shortly, he is just signing a few papers."

Sighing deeply, Josephine felt her eyes narrow as the curtain slid open again, revealing the shadowed man under his peaked cap. He sported a cigarette in his hand, blowing the smoke out into the room.

"What if I wanted to stay here?" Her voice was quiet and hoarse.

"Good morning to you as well, Josephine." He dipped his head, a straight look on his face.

Josephine scowled as the nurse helped her from the bed, careful that the sudden movements did not cause any pain to the young woman. Her rib was healing well, but the damage to her neck artery was sensitive to motion. The nurse passed her off to Thomas, who held his forearm out to her, almost tapping his foot impatiently.

After saying a quick good-bye to the nurse, the two made it slowly out of the hospital. Thomas opened the door to the car, guiding the wounded woman in. Getting in on his side, he felt the side of his face burning up from the heat of Josephine's stare.

He made sure to drive with caution, not to let one of the tires run over a bump or fall into a pothole to avoid bringing harm to Josephine's rib. In almost no time, the car slowed, the engine quieting as Thomas drew the brake in front of the Cross home.

The front door flew open, revealing the happy face of Lorelai as the rest of her family watched with blank faces as Thomas helped the girl to the entrance.

"Jo-jo! I missed you, sister!" Lorelai exclaimed, grabbing onto Josephine's other arm that had not been wrapped around Tommy's for support. Josephine winced at the sudden movement; Thomas could see it as she scrunched her nose. "I've got your room all done up for you. Tommy, let's get her upstairs."

Josephine looked at Thomas's face in the corner of her vision, a smile on his face. It seemed foreign, almost wrong in a way. But at the same time, it was contagious. It made Josephine smile too. When they got to the stairs, Josephine reached for the railing as she gracefully made her way up—like she hadn't been in pain at all. Lorelai trailed right behind her older sister, then paused and turned around.

"Are you coming, Tommy?"

"Yes, yes. Just giving the crippled some room."

"Hey!" Josephine whined, looking down from the second floor banister. Thomas had a playful smirk.

"It was very kind of you, Thomas, to see after Josephine for us. We've been awfully busy; we know you understand." Mrs. Cross was the first to speak once Josephine was out of earshot. 

"Yeah, well. I'm a busy man too, but I still managed to make the time. It gives quite an impression that every single one of you were unable to be there and support your daughter, your sister. But no worries--it's no problem. No problem at all." His words grew the tension in the room. Thomas sent a cold glare towards Anna Grace, who seemed shocked by his demeanor. Cabot straightened his posture, not breaking eye contact. In the next second, he made up the stairs to say good-bye to Josephine.

As Josephine settled into her room, Thomas couldn't help but feel a sense of relief mixed with an underlying strain.

"Are you comfortable, Jo? How are the pillows? Do you need me to fluff them a bit more?" The youngest of the Cross siblings fussed over Josephine.

"It's fine, Lorelai. It's perfect, actually. Thank you." Josephine sat down in her bed, admiring the bouquets of flowers around the room. Lorelai nodded and smiled, clasping her hands over her hips, watching her sister gaze in awe at the arrangement.

"Tommy, John, Ada and I picked them out for you."

Josephine bit her bottom lip.

"That's so kind. They're so beautiful," Josephine's eyes softened.

"I'm happy you like them. I just wanted to check in with you one last time before I leave. The doctor will be here every morning at 9 o'clock sharp to make sure you're healing properly. Feel better, Josephine." Thomas informed. As he turned on his heel to walk out the door, Josephine's small voice stopped him. 

"Thomas?"

He turned around fully to look at her, her frail frame swallowed by pillows and blankets. Her once bronze complexion was paled and whitened over, lacking its normal glow.

"Thank you." Josephine didn't just say it, but she meant it. It wasn't often that someone went out of their way to care for her. If only he knew that—if only he knew how grateful she truly was. A simple thank you did not contain the amount of gratitude she held for him. And he would never know. If he hadn't found her that night, only the Lord knows what would have happened. She didn't want to think about it.

"You're welcome." He said blankly, and walked out the door.