P

Prologue

THE YEAR OF THE LORD, 1919. This was a time of profound change as well as unrest. England was still reeling from the ravages of war yet stood up to face the precipice of a new era. In the heart of the country's industrial landscape, the city of Birmingham lies. The air in Small Heath was suffocatingly thick from the smoke that breathed out through all of the chimneys, polluting the atmosphere above–a testament to its calling as a city.

Within Small Heath, the Peaky Blinders held sway–a gang led by the power-starved Shelby family. For them, alliances were forged in blood and loyalty was a rare currency. But our story does not begin with them.

In a seemingly sinister underworld, a young woman gets used to the stench in the air and navigates her own way through the labyrinth streets and alleyways of Birmingham. Her visits started off as few and far between, but with her father finally making some business success, these visits have become more frequent and longer in duration. It is at last that our story begins with this young woman, named Josephine Cross: the black sheep of her own family–an independent yet spirited soul.

In a home tainted by lust for good reputation and hopes of a good fortune, Josephine's father headed the Cross family. He reeked of illicit business, stitching himself a web of darkness and deceit. He owned a suit shop, a disguise for what other activities were happening beneath the surface. Slowly but surely, overtime, Mr. Cross earned the trust of the Shelby family as their goals aligned like perfect stars.

In order to solidify this alliance between families and businesses, Mr. Cross orchestrates a match between his eldest daughter, Anna Grace with Thomas Shelby–the forefront of it all. As her sister vies for the attention of Thomas, Josephine catches his interest on her own, without any intention. Sibling rivalry and jealousy ensue. Even against all odds, fate has a way of playing its own hand.

"THE OTHER WOMAN"  is a captivating tale of secret romance, resilience, and the indomitable spirit of a young woman who dares to defy the expectations imposed upon her by her own family.