Part 81

81

"You could have cleaned up after your little drinking party last night," Chris said as she walked into the kitchen, an empty bottle in each hand. She clinked them into the recycling bin. "Well, you're certainly back. Back in action, too, if last night was anything to go by." She smothered a smirk with her hand. "I heard you two come in, but I didn't hear her go. So, what time did she leave last night?"

I looked at her, bleary-eyed and yawning, as the watery sunlight trickling through the kitchen window turned her fair hair into a halo Chris didn't deserve. "She didn't."

"You let her sleep in your bed? What happened while you were away to make you so considerate?"

Irritated, I responded, "She's tired and she had a bit to drink last night. She needs some sleep before I take her home." Caitlin had smiled in her sleep as I'd tucked the quilt around her. My mouth had gone dry and I couldn't bring myself to wake her yet. So beautiful...

Chris whistled. "She gets to sleep in your bed and she gets driven home! When did you become such a perfect gentleman?"

I tried to concentrate on making myself a coffee, in between thoughts of Caitlin. I didn't want or need to listen to Chris.

"You're not having breakfast? Or have you already eaten?"

"Can't you leave it, for even a second?" I didn't want to get into an argument – I wanted to have Caitlin's breakfast ready before she was awake. "What can I make her for breakfast? Do we have anything besides," I glared at the box, "cornflakes?"

"Breakfast, too? Was she that good?" Chris pressed.

Now I was pissed off. "Leave her alone! Just lay off her, okay?"

She let up. "All right." She paused long enough for me to take a sip of my coffee. "At least it's good to know you're not a paedophile."

"What?" I nearly choked.

"Well, you've finally left that poor kid alone. The one in hospital. How old was she – twelve, thirteen? It's about time you got over your crush on her."

"I didn't have a crush on her! She wanted me to be there!"

"Come on, the last thing she needed was to have you at her bedside, mooning over her."

"There are plenty of girls who'd love to have me sit by their bedside when they're in hospital!"

Chris took a deep breath. "Like the one in your bed right now? Maybe, but not a girl who's been abducted. After she's been raped and God knows what else, the last thing she wants is a man anywhere near her. Least of all you." She grabbed the cornflake box and turned around to put it away. She reached for the sponge and started wiping down the bench, refusing to meet my eyes.

"Nathan?" Caitlin was hesitant.

I saw Chris turn around at the sound of her voice, but I had eyes only for Caitlin. "Good morning, angel," I greeted her with a smile.

I couldn't take my eyes off her. Behind me, I knew Chris was staring, too.

One arm was wound around the door frame and the wall beyond, supporting her. Caitlin wore one of my jumpers, which reached almost to her knees, making her look like the child Chris had called her. The depths of her eyes told another story, though – one that wasn't suitable for children.

I took a step toward her, drawn closer by the irresistible black-hole hint in her eyes.

She gave a sheepish smile. Or perhaps it was rueful. "I can't seem to be able to turn the taps on in the shower." She held up her hand and her fingers looked red.

"I'll be right there." I jumped up, as if my chair was an ejector seat, and coffee splashed over my hand. I almost dropped the cup, but made it to the table in time. Shaking the coffee off my burnt fingers, I added, "Just as soon as I finish my coffee."

"Thank you!" Her eyes lingered a moment before she left.

Chris barely waited a few seconds for her to get out of earshot before she spoke. "You didn't!"

She was right and I hadn't. I'd come damn close, though, and I wasn't telling her that, either. Caitlin…oh my God, Caitlin…it was worth every sleepless, screaming night just for last night. And there'd be more. I responded with only a smile. One that said there's chocolate for dinner and nothing else.

"You're a bloody cradle-snatcher! And don't get any ideas – you aren't and you'll never be Prince Charming!" she shouted at me.

I tipped the rest of my coffee down the sink, then stalked to the door. "Just leave her alone!"

"You should take your own advice," she said with venom. "Go on, go help her – she probably can't even reach the taps!"

Bloody Chris – didn't know when to keep her mouth shut. After a night like last night, the last thing I want to do is argue – can't she see that? To stop myself from shouting back in kind, I left.

Just outside the door, I almost stepped on Caitlin, sitting on the floor. She didn't say anything. She just looked up at me with big, sad eyes and I held out my hands to help her to her feet.

I walked her to the bathroom, where she sat on the edge of the bath to watch me. I closed the door, then turned the taps on for her.

She came up behind me, her hands sliding under my shirt. "Why don't you set her straight? You could just tell her how old I am – it's hardly a secret."

"I know." My voice was muffled as she pulled my shirt over my head.

"Then why did you let her say what she did without defending yourself?"

"She likes to argue. That's why she wants to do law." I shrugged. "I don't want to argue with her. It would end in me telling her things she doesn't need to know – about you and about me." I closed my eyes, trying to squeeze my mental images out of existence.

Caitlin had taken her – my – jumper off, and the touch of her bare skin against my back was more than a little distracting.

"Would you like me to help you in the shower?" I couldn't resist saying.

"That would be lovely, Nathan." She sounded like she was smiling.