Part 58

58

"I want a shower," she said softly, looking up at me.

"So take one," I answered.

Caitlin looked embarrassed. "I…I can't. I tried last night, but I almost passed out. I can't stand up that long."

Shit.

It was on the tip of my tongue to offer to help her in the shower, but I couldn't think of any way to say it that didn't sound dirty. Not that I wouldn't take a shower with Caitlin if she was offering, it was just that…she wasn't. I wondered how she'd managed in hospital, on the few occasions this week once the dressings were off, before I remembered.

I pointed outside through the sliding door. "How about I stick one of those plastic chairs in the shower for you to sit on?"

Caitlin smiled, looking relieved. "That could work."

I fumbled with the lock until I managed to open the door and lifted up a cobwebbed chair. I hosed off the inevitable redback spider with her puzzle web under the seat before I carried the damp chair into the shower for Caitlin.

She'd followed me slowly to the bathroom so I faced her for a moment, not sure what to say.

"Thank you," she said after a while, lifting the hem of her shirt a little so I could see her tummy. "Could you shut the door behind you? I like my showers steamy."

Oh God. Talk about dirty. "Sure. I'll go wait in the lounge room," I replied hastily, stumbling out of the bathroom as quickly as I could.

I turned on the TV and sat in the lounge room, not even noticing what was on the screen. In my head, all I saw was Caitlin in the shower. Steam curling around her as the water cascaded…

I heard her quick footsteps tripping across the carpet and turned in time to see Caitlin disappear into the kitchen. I stood and followed.

I found her leaning against the fridge door, her arms, hands and head in the freezer. I reached for the freezer door, opening it wider so I could see what she was doing. Caitlin pressed herself against the fridge, squashing skin against steel as I realised what I was looking at.

"Shit, sorry!" I said, turning my back and trying to get the image out of my head. Fat chance of that. Burned into my retinas was Caitlin, wearing nothing but a pair of pants, her breasts pressed against the fridge door as she pushed her hands as deep into the freezer as she could reach, her face pale with pain.

Oh, shit, the surveillance cameras. Even if I had my eyes closed, Navid was watching the screens, recording everything. Caitlin didn't deserve to be stared at like this – not even for her own safety.

I pulled my shirt over my head and held it out behind me. "Please, put this on. Let me help you…" Cold, damp fingers touched mine as she took the shirt. I heard the fabric slide over her hair, her skin…covering her from the cameras I couldn't tell her about.

"Are you decent?" I asked.

Caitlin sounded like she was trying not to laugh. "Yes."

I dared to turn around. My shirt came to her knees, so wide you could have fitted two of her in it. I lifted my eyes to her face. "What's wrong?"

She held out her hands, looking lost. "I can't…I can't fasten things. Buttons and things. My fingers won't work. Ice helps dull the pain."

I looked at my too-large shirt. "So wear a t-shirt. There's nothing wrong with looking casual. We're only going to a supermarket." I smiled gently. "You'll still look beautiful."

I regretted my words the instant she turned red and looked at the floor. "I don't have a problem with my t-shirts. I can't…fasten my bra."

Fuck. Now it was my turn to blush in embarrassment. I should have seen that one coming. "I can help you with that," I replied reluctantly.

"That would be really great," Caitlin said. She hesitated, as if there was more she wanted to say, biting her lip until she continued. "But…could you please turn around and close your eyes while I get dressed? I'll tell you when I need you."

I nodded. Would it have been necessary to ask anyone else not to watch? Or just me, the pervert who wouldn't look away while she dressed herself in hospital yesterday? "Of course."