Chapter 8- The duel

Ribadu Cantonments
0500 hours

Zayn

Normally, I should have been up about an hour ago, but today was different. Awoken by the call to prayer, I threw my blanket off my body forcing myself out of the comfort of my bed, and groggily dragged myself to the bathroom. I was still sleepy, yes. But I needed to shake it off.
It took a few more moments to brush my teeth and wash the sleep off my face before heading out to the mosque. When I reached Major Harris' door I could tell that he was already out. I walked down the stairs, remembering that I still hadn't contacted anyone back home. Usually, they didn't disturb me with calls because of the nature of my work. They always waited for me to call first. It was an unspoken rule between us. Nevertheless, I made a mental note to bell them up when the sun had properly risen. They won't let me hear the end of it. I screwed up.

I got to the mosque just in time for the prayer to start. After that, we had more minutes to spare before our morning run. The recruits in my battalion, if they were wise enough, should be assembled at the gates of the barracks by now. I had exactly a hundred and twenty recruits to train under me. There were more, but the ones under me were my topmost priority. The number was a lot, but nothing I couldn't handle. I was yet to get to know them and address them formally. Today was the day.

I could see them loitering about the gate as I approached them, clad in an army-patterned t-shirt that was tucked in a pair of cargo pants and black boots. A watch was strapped at my wrist, with a whistle in hand. I hung the whistle around my neck when I closed up to them.
The few who had noticed me fidgeted their way into straight lines. A wave of silence swept over them like a spell. Some adjusted their dressings while others prompted the heedless. They saluted me, to which I returned, taking note of their subtle experience. We had a lot of work ahead of us.
The lines they had assembled into were so crooked, that I coaxed myself to have patience. And just like last year, I couldn't help but take note of the women amongst them who chose to drool, knowing a prince was their drill master. Unfortunately, I couldn't do much to control that. The only thing that worked was --
I'll leave that for them to figure out.

5:29.
I checked the time on my watch. Just a minute more. A lot more had joined, and I guess it was time to leave. Getting my cue from Major Harris at the far rear of the lines, I commemorated the ritual.
One of the many things I liked about being in the army.

Mustering my morale, I commanded. " Not one step back, comrades!"

" No retreat, No surrender!" Noah's voice erupted from the middle of the assembly. It was backed with the rumbling of the doors as they slid open.

More voices joined the chants, which grew into more army chants. Most of the newbies seemed lost, but they didn't have to worry because we would teach them all, and it was going to be fun. It was normal to see the civilians who lived around poke their faces out of their balconies or windows, watching us as we passed. Some waved, and we couldn't find it in us not to reciprocate the gesture, especially when it was school children.

We had become so frequent that they even chanted along with us.

An hour later, we were back at the barracks to get ready for the day. I wouldn't want to waste any time getting down to business. Not that I had any time to waste, hence, I had asked them to gather at the service school. The training would be too intense to remain in the confines of the school, and I was to be assisted by a lot more.

As I strolled to the service school, I took my time to finally talk to my family back at home. Just as I had expected, they didn't let me have it easy for not calling them the previous day. I dreaded the moment they were going to ask about Aaliyah. Eskander couldn't have told them about what happened between us. I would tell them when I deemed it right.
I listened as Nana spoke, urging me to stay safe and whatnot. I've heard it for a hundred times now, and I wasn't in the least weary of it. I loved it that way. I was taken aback by Ameer's voice in the background. He
was supposed to be in school.