Chapter 20 - Victory

Zacznij od początku

"How's it looking?" Levi's voice came from behind her, marching towards the pair of them. "Terrible. The front line of houses is gone, he decimated them. If he keeps throwing those, everything will be levelled- we won't have anything left to hide behind." Erwin explained.

"And we can't retreat to the wall because then he'd be able to take out the horses with ease." Leah murmured, catching on to the predicament. "Precisely." Erwin said grimly. "And the colossal titan is already heading this way, setting fire to everything in his path."

Leah brushed a hand through her hair. So that explosion was the colossal titan coming into being. It was like someone had set off a giant thunderspear. Shit, I hope everyone's was far enough away.

"What happened to Hange's group? Is Eren alright?" Levi's thought process had been similar to Leah's.

"I don't know. Most of them are gone, caught up when the explosion occurred. We've sustained a great many casualties. The beast titan directed the small titans in such a way that our soldiers would group up in one place. Dirk's squad, Marlene's squad and Klaus' squad were all engaging the small titans, which put them in the line of fire when he launched the bombardment... they were all wiped out." Erwin took a breath and scanned the soldiers gathered around him, "In other words, our remaining forces on this side of the gate consists of you new Scout recruits, Captains Leah and Levi... and me. No others."

Leah exhaled slowly just as the Beast titan sent another round of boulders slicing through the air around them, flattening buildings and tossing bodies into the air. "Do you have any kind of plan?" The Captain next to Leah said sassily, clearly unphased by the death count that continued to spike with every shower of rocks. There was a crash from the Wall above and everyone's gaze rose to meet it. Eren's titan head could be seen dangling over the edge of the wall, completely static.

"Shit- Eren!" Leah bellowed, about to jump into the air with her gear before a hand on her shoulder rooted her to the ground. "Wait, Leah- there's only one titan that can fling him like that." Levi warned. "The colossal."

Leah gritted her teeth, looking stubbornly up at Eren's titan. "Leave it to your squad to deal with it." Erwin said finally, turning back to the pair. Any argument from Leah was drowned out by a third air strike from the beast titan.

"This place is going to look like a honeycomb before long. The beast titan knows where we are. Erwin," Levi turned to the blonde with a serious tone. "If there's no chance that we can turn this around then tell us. And we can still cut our losses, go shake the shit out of Eren 'til he wakes up- have him run away with as many people as he can carry. Then we'll have at least some survivors."

Off to the side a red-headed recruit wailed. Leah clenched her fist. "We could get the recruits, our squad and Hange's squads to ride away on the horses... not that they'd have much of a chance." Leah gulped. "But they could be decoys and give Eren a shot at escaping."

Erwin and Levi regarded Leah for a second, noting the way her fists slacked into tremorless hands. She knew what had to be done to maximise the number of survivors. "Tell me, how would you both fit into this plan?"

Leah and Levi shared a look. "Levi can take down the beast titan-"

"He can't, he won't even make it near him." Erwin countered.

"He can if I help."

Both men stared at her, their faces unreadable. Leah's eyes darted between them. "I'll go with him, on horseback. That way I'll be there if anything happens." Leah fixed her attention on Levi, who at present time held a disapproving glare. "I can watch your back. Ride along unseen you while you use your gear to get in closer. And if need be I'm at least a distraction-"